damaged front end; front clip

Repair or SiR front clip?, also pass inspection

• SiR Front Clip: $2

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

K2e2vin

car is 88 crx dx with stock motor(d15b2)
well currently my car wont pass inspection(safety inspection) due to damages from hitting a fire hydrant. i dont know what to do though; repair the front end to OEM specs for $1600 or should i get a complete SiR front clip for $2300, which also has a better motor(b16a). also does anybody know if swapping front clip will pass inspection? the car has to be inspected by february also so i have a few months.
thanks, kevin

Not sure about emissions but personally I would put the SiR on !!! Its not too much more $$$ and your getting alot more !!!

what state are you in? i assume CA since you mentioned emmissions

and wtf 1600 to repair the front???
is that with a shop doing the work or something?
did you check junkyard prices?

if you need all new front end pieces, plus you want a motor swap then the front clip sounds like a good idea for you, but keep in mind labor if you can;t do this yourself, and emissions will be a pain in the ass

no im in NC. emissions is not a problem, its the safety inspection im worried about.
$1600 is using junk yard parts+labor; the front end got pushed back a little and some areas have to be rewelded and bent back. luckily the frame isnt bent, but i do agree that that's rather pricey. my uncle had gotten the quote for me so i dont really know what the shop people said.

Im not to sure if you are hte same person who started a different thread, but asked the same questions, either way, my answer is the same. SIR

yea i started another thread askin whether to restore it to stock or SiR, but then i wasnt thinking about inspection.

When I bought my dc it had a front end accident. I bought the jdm front end and put it on. I as well had to get the visual inspection to drive it on the road. I live in Cali, and the guy just looked around followed a checklist to make sure stuff worked and was put together. I hope that helps you out.

There is one practice in particular that is not illegal but could produce a potentially lethal machine - the cut and shut. This is a vehicle that has been built by cutting two damaged vehicles in half and welding the two better halve together.

edit: i believe in NY a shop is not legally allowed to seperate and join cars, but someone can do it to their own car...
not sure if that means its straight illegal, or if its just illegal to get paid to do it for someone?

so if i were to do it myself its legal and will pass inspection(if they even notice)? also on the front clip, everything is RHD, should i leave it like that or convert it to stock LHD?

NO, you NEED TO CHECK YOUR LOCAL LAWS

and cutting and rewelding a car is a HUGE project, i would advise against it unless you really REALLY know what you are doing...
the car needs to be 100% true or you'll be dogtracking and wearing tires and all sorts of REALLY REALLY bad shit...

and what do you mean convert it to LHD?
if you want LHD then keep your front end and just replace the bent/broke/mangled pieces, if you want RHD you need to hack and weld... the firewalls are completely diffrent for LHD vs RHD...

i was thinking using the front clip would be easier which replace everything including maybe the firewall(btw the front clip is RHD). if i keep my front end then i will spend about $1600 and still have a d15b.

doesnt all the exterior pieces swap on? why not just buy the clip and swap those pieces?

after inspection, swap in the motor.

the motor is not a problem, it just has to pass smog; thats all they check for. my concern is the fact that the whole front end is welded and if theyll check that.

What do you think is exactly involved in the SiR conversion?

I'll tell ya'...

Cutting off the old Core Support, welding the new one on, then bolting everything up to it... Swapping hte engine is a little more difficult I think...

Back