1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Damn brake disks won't come off

Discussion in 'General Tech and Maintenance' started by Citizen_Insane, Mar 31, 2004.

1. Citizen_Insane

Citizen_Insane Senior Member

I cant get the screws that hold the brake disk in (the ones that are flush with the surface and mine are painted green) off. If i continue to attempt it, I will completely strip them. They're just normal philips head machine screws without a hex shape, so I can't use a ratchet on them. If anyone has any insight that would be great. Thanks.

-Kai

2. HellBentHONDA

HellBentHONDA Senior Member

impact screwdriver- they sell em at most parts stores
    or
    a small hammer and a punch-unscrew it with these

EDIT: oh and you definetly DONT want to use any type of air on them

:D

3. deth101

deth101 Senior Member

they make a special tool to take those off....your parts store should be able to help you

4. HellBentHONDA

HellBentHONDA Senior Member

yeah. its called an IMPACT SCREWDRIVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. eml1618

eml1618 Member

If the impact doesn't work just drill them out. On my last car ('93 Hatch) we had to drill them just cuz they were so badly stuck. Def. try the impact screwdriver first though. And if you drill be careful. Here's an article that shows them drilling the screws out:

http://www.overboost.com/story.asp?id=304

6. reckedracing

reckedracing TTIWWOP VIP

the best way to do this is to take the philips bit from a bit driver, put it in its respective socket, then put the socket on a 3" 1/4 drive extension

then take a big ass hammer and beat the shit out of it, then take a screwdriver and it should come right out with ease...
    or after you beat the shit out of it, just put the 1/4 drive ratchet on the end of the extension, the philips bit will most likely be stuck in the screw so leave it there until you've used the ratchet ot loosen it, then make sure you can get the bit out before you get the screw all the way out

shock and unseize campaign...

7. vtecsir1

vtecsir1 Senior Member

pb blaster first and let it sit for awile, then do what the posts above say and hit the end of the screw driver to break it loose some. apply a lot of pressure to the screw driver and then twist and if that doesnt work then drill them out.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted