Damn computer

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

xj0hnx

I wanna be sedated
VIP
Ok Computer gurus, help me out.

I had been running a "grey market" Windows XP, and then when I installed Service Pack 2, it said I had to register it, so I dumped it and now I have a real XP Home and it's registered, and what not.

The problem is that when I am scrolling through the screen it always seems to be behind it self then it catchs up. Also when I watch movies, it is choppy at best. I have DVD Idle Pro, and PowerDVD, but the DMA enable won't stay on on Idle Pro. It says it has to restart, then it does, and then it's disabled again. The DMA is set in my Device Manager.

Anyone know what the hell is going on? Or am I missing something somewhere else. Or is more info needed.

Also, apparently when I reinstalled windows, it didn't comletely remove the old files, because if I search for say, Photoshop, it finds it, but I can't open anything. Also when I come to the login screen, it says there is a duplicate name on the network, how can I fix these two problems.

Apparently you installed Windows XP over an existing install. Just reinstall XP and choose clean install. That should fix your problem of the duplicate name.

:werd: That should help. Make sure all your drivers and codecs are installed and up to date too. If you want I can zip up a package and send it your way- I always keep all the codecs current on my machine.

xp home is the exact same thing as xp pro, minus it's abaility to join a domain network, and the features that go with that.

so, yeah... xp home is fine.

Originally posted by allmotord16rex+Oct 4 2004, 01:57 PM-->
Apparently you installed Windows XP over an existing install. Just reinstall XP and choose clean install. That should fix your problem of the duplicate name.
[post=397963]Quoted post[/post]​

When I installed it, I choose the partition that the OS was already on, but it said it was deleting old files, but I guess it lied.

Originally posted by Calesta@Oct 4 2004, 02:11 PM
:werd: That should help. Make sure all your drivers and codecs are installed and up to date too. If you want I can zip up a package and send it your way- I always keep all the codecs current on my machine.
[post=397964]Quoted post[/post]​

That would be great, the codecs disc I have is dated, but then again, so is my laptop :p

pissedoffsol
@Oct 4 2004, 03:33 PM
if your video is choppy, i bet you have an IRQ conflict with yout sound card or something
[post=397985]Quoted post[/post]​

Come on Brian, I'm the computer equivolent of Tiny Tim, so ahhh how would I check that and fix it?

You need to delete the partition already made before you install. So delete the partition, then if you want, create a new one (I didn't and pc works fine) And all your stuff should work once it installs.

Ok, I got a format disc from a guy here, so I am going to try redoing this crap. I'll be back in an hour :)

Well, it's all the same, all the old files appear, but none can open, and since I password protected the admin account the last time, I can't even get into it. hahahahhaa.

Originally posted by 92b16vx@Oct 4 2004, 04:36 PM
Well, it's all the same, all the old files appear, but none can open, and since I password protected the admin account the last time, I can't even get into it. hahahahhaa.
[post=398129]Quoted post[/post]​

yeah you can.

find the .NTUSER file in the windows root install directory. open it up, and hack yourself an admin account :)

Originally posted by pissedoffsol+Oct 5 2004, 03:38 AM-->
@Oct 4 2004, 04:36 PM
[post=398129]Quoted post[/post]​

yeah you can.

find the .NTUSER file in the windows root install directory. open it up, and hack yourself an admin account :)
[post=398283]Quoted post[/post]​

How do I do that? Or is it pretty self explainatory?
Well I have an admin account from reinstalling windows, but the one from the last time is there. When I go to user accounts it doesn't show any but my present one, but if I search, I find my last one. I have been searching for old programs and shit that I can't reinstall and deleteing them one by one. Some of them I have been able to recover, but like Photoshop, and a couple others I am missing some files.

officespace_theprinter.jpg

Airjockey...my thoughts exactly.

Brian, I couldn't find that file .NTUSER, so where do I look. I found the uninstall for it though. And what about the IRC conflict you were talking about.

Mike, thanks, DLed, installed, but nothing seemed to change :(.

Another important bit of info:

Windows XP SP2 will install on a pirated version of Windows. The idea of not letting pirates use the service pack was tossed out at the last minute. The only thing SP2 won't install with is a few of the most widely circulated CDKeys. All you needed was the good XP key generator and you wouldn't have had to pay the Microsoft tax. :D

Back