Damn smog check!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

humblegumbo

1595cc's of Mad Fury
So, I failed my smog check yesterday. I'm very sad about this because the CRX is my first true love. :wub: The possibility of not spending every day with her breaks my heart. If I can't get her fixed, I can't register in CA. :cry:

The failure was due to high NOx readings and inoperable engine light.

Now, the engine light is straight forward electrical problem. Not easy for me to solve because wiring is not my strong suit, but I think I can figure it out. It's an old problem that I haven't gotten around to fixing it yet.

What worries me is the high NOx reading. Doing research I've learned that this is most likely caused by high combustion chamber temp/pressure or malfunctioning EGR valve.
I don't think the engine is running too hot in general, but I haven't checked because the temp gauge is dead (along w/ engine light).
Other potential causes for high temp/pressure are: lean mixture, carbon buildup, and advanced timing.
So...I need to buy a timing light to check the timing. Before I do that, I would like some advice on how to check the fuel mixture and cylinder compression ratio.

Other questions include, but are not limited to:
How do I check the EGR for functionality?
How do I check for carbon buildup without pulling apart enging?
Why does CA have to get all up in my shit and ruin my day? :ranting2:

Thanks.

i had trouble passing smog last year due to high NOx readings.. i changed my cat and o2 sensor and had no trouble passing

That's it?
O2 sensor and cat are both 1991 stock items. I replaced everything else from the block to the tailpipe. So, the added expense of new cat and sensor will almost have to guarantee fix. Cat appears functional...how to test O2 sensor?

if you're having that much trouble.. take the car to a smog shop and have them run a diagnostic on it.. it'll tell them why its reading high

how old is the o2?? thats generally the case when failing smog.. especially since you've replaced everything

Well, yes, that's in work.
I've also applied for gov financial aid towards repairs. To qualify, I won't be able to get a shop to work on it until after I am accepted, then they'll give me up to $500 towards smog related repairs. I think it's probably worth it. I can't afford to play the old swap and pray game.

I just really don't like other people (including professional mechs) monkeying around with my baby.
I get jealous.
Seriously.

then get voltage meter and measure the voltage on the o2.. not sure what its supposed to be at.. but a simple google search will pull that up

the output of the lambda sensor will fluctuate between 0-1volt. and it won't be steady or easy to read either. with a volt meter you'll only be able to check if it's pegged high 1 volt or low 0 volts. other than that a stoichiometric reading is usually about .5 volts, A working O2 sensor will most likely fluctuate from .3 to .75 volts

Last edited:
Just got my approval letter from CA Bureau of Automotive Repair yesterday.
This is awesome news for me, and for you all that live in CA and fail a smog check. I now have $500 for emissions related repairs! Yay!

Too bad they didn't just give me cash, though....

Got my baby back!

Such a sweet deal. For one the shop fixed the wiring nightmare that the prev. owner left behind. It's so nice to have turn signals and a tach again! They also threw in a new cat. So, now the entire exhaust is new from tip to tip except for a few bolts and nuts.

Thinking about leaving my stereo out for another week because it's so much lighter in the rear w/o it. Didn't trust the shop "security system" w/ two amps, sub, and 12-disc.

Whee! Can't wait to get off work!

ahh yes.. i know how it is not to drive your car because of smog and when it finally passes, you're the happiest SOB alive.. well thats how i was when i passed BAR.. it just happened to be on 4/20 06 and i got super stoned as a celebration once i got home..

Back