damn you smog

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Smogprobs101

i got a very cool ticket a few months back to make a new friend the cal state smog ref. anyway i have done everything to pass
new o2
new cat
cleaned egr
added acetone 3 oz for 6 gallons

and still i ran about 50 points over on hydrocarbons
i took it to a shop they said i needed a new cat so im looking it to that any other suggestions i need to do this quick i was thinking about mixing in methnal but i havent found much about it. i read about running 2 cats any opinions
i found a bosal cat life time warreny for 210
thanks for helping
Aaron

it was warm i drove on the freeway for a half hour i took car of all the little stuff i think a need a ca approved cat has anyoneheard of "blue sky clean air" thanks for your help guys

sounds like it runs a bit rich.. i had a hell of a time passing the sniffer, but it ended up being the o2.. are you in need of a valve adjustment at all, just a thought.. i know it was hurting me.. oil change never hurts either..

i have never touched the valves but im sure they are not tune to spec how much is it to do that thanks for all the help

Dude, the reason why I keep asking you if you put 100 miles on the cat before the test is because you'll fail if you don't and it'll look like you need a new cat. So, did you put 100 miles on the new cat before the test?

I have never heard of that before? i failed bye 50+HC went put a new cat on went back it passed with 0,HC i went about 3 miles.

I would say it's Rich ,O/2 might not be working that great.

What was there reason for it?

Before Cali became a pain with all the classes you have to take just to re cert, i did smog for 5 years and never heard that before.

oh yea, what was your %co2 at Idle

put more than a 100 mile after the cat i think the problem is it may not be CARB approved but i cant find any that are for my car 1995 prelude vtec it is 600+ at the honda dealer

never heard of one having to be CARB approved? They just look under just to make sure it has one.

just make sure you by a good quality one not the cheap ones you by for 50 dollars, a good cat will cost 125-300 dollars just depends on your needs.

But again whats the %co2 at idle it will be in your smog papper work

my universal cat was $105 installed. and i passed BAR w/ no problem.. after i replaced my O2 that is..

Back