Dang, might bet getting emissions in ND

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

MazdaAspec

/\ IDIOT ALERT /\
Explain this emission thing that states have. I read up on one that in Cali, a B20B is illegal to have in a car. I dont understand why but it is. Here, cops are giving people warning about having aftermarker exhaust on the cars and saying the only thing allowed on a car is stock and nothing more. So what things should I be looking out for if this up coming months when they are looking to have this voted on, or where is a good place to look instead of typing a story, unless you have the time. Right as of now, North Dakota does not have any emissions on vehicals and is great but if it does I think I am gonna be in a bad boat with a B20B in a car. DAM.

The laws vary from state to state. California has the strictest laws, no doubt. Other states have laws which are much simpler and more lenient. You'd have to research into exactly what your state is proposing in order to find out what the new laws would require be done.

And the B20 swap is illegal because it's technically a truck engine...

Here in Michigan we have no emissions testing, and anyone under 30 probably doesn't remember when we did. If memory serves me correctly, it used to be an annual test you had to get to renew your plates. I think I had to do it the first couple years I was driving. It only applied to cars less than 10 years old, which seems backwards to me because you would think that the older the car, the worse the emissions. If you failed, you had to fix what was wrong with the vehicle, up to I think like 250 bucks, after you spent that I think they just let you go. It may have been good for 2 or 3 years even, I can't remember exactly.

A fellow Michiganite, eh? Where ya from?

one get a copy of the propossed legislation and read it .it should be public record . most states mirror other states laws on this kind of thing . In cali even if all your parts have carb # s , your car can still be considered illegal , sure your exhaust has a carb number , but with that carb # header its too loud , ect ect ect . Be glad you don't live in Germany you are not even allow to change tire brands (let alone size ) with having the new ones apporved , buy TUV

A fellow Michiganite, eh? Where ya from?

I believe the correct term is "Michigander" lol. I live in Clinton Township, not too far from Lakeside Mall. Actually a good friend of mine lives in Fenton, a couple minutes off of the Grange Hall Rd. exit. Not too far from you I would imagine.

It's illegal in most any state to change any parts on your car to something that isn't with in factory specs.

Thankfully most states look the other way.

As far as smog test goes, in Maryland, every 2 years you have to take your car into the smog test station, you drive your car into the building, if it's OBD2 or newer, all they do is hook a computer up to it and check the ECU for errors, if no errors show up then you're fine. takes all of 5 minutes. not counting the 30 minute wait you had sitting in line.

If you have an OBD1 or older car, you drive your car onto some rollers, they check your gas cap to make sure it holds proper pressure, use mirrors to look for cats, then they put a sniffer behind your car and have you drive the car on the rollers, you follow the instructions on the monitor telling you what rpm to keep the car at.

As far as having illegal parts on your car... CA is the only state I know of that checks for after market parts, other states, as long as you pass the smog test, they could care less whats in the car.

However, as far as the B20 being a truck motor and making it illegal that's not true, at least not that I know of, the issue is you cannot have a engine older then the car.

if the car was made in 1992, you can have any engine from 92 car and up. doesn't matter if its a boat motor, as long as it meets smog requirements.

i was in Michigan this past weekend. i was in Taylor to be specific for a car show called Draggin Detroit. fun times were had by all :)

However, as far as the B20 being a truck motor and making it illegal that's not true, at least not that I know of, the issue is you cannot have a engine older then the car.

if the car was made in 1992, you can have any engine from 92 car and up. doesn't matter if its a boat motor, as long as it meets smog requirements.

It's illegal in California for that specific reason. I don't know if any other states have that law however...

epa law (simply stated) its illegal to modify or alter ,or remove any emissions related equipment . yes some place only check to see if all required smog equipment is present and what come out the tail pipe meets the EPAs requirements

Where whould I look about the ND regulations. Just start at the web site ND.gov and see what i get?

Idaho has emissions yearly, and no aftermarket exhaust laws. You are not allowed to remove the muffler, and the exhaust can't go about your car's specific factory exhaust systems decibel level

I had to chase two cops down just to get the straight law on that.

PS I think it's weird how Washington seems like a "smarter" state than Idaho on some things, yet they have no emissions, at least not when I lived there about a year ago.

Back