Datsun 710 Swap Possiblities

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Citizen_Insane

My friend has a datsun 710 with a blown piston ring. She was wondering if I could swap a new engine into it. Now....I know jack shit about nissan/datsun cars. So....can anyone point me in the direction of a possible swap? I don't have a welder, so something that would have little or no fabrication work would be best. I was thinking a newer nissan engine or maybe a small block chevy using modified JTR mounts :ph34r: .

Its NOT a 510. Its a 710. Although, I'm betting that its engine bay is pretty close to a 510's.
1976_wpl710.jpg

710= 510 wagon basically, i love old imports especially datsuns. put an SR20 in it. or a 350 V8. when i get back from wyo tech i am going to try to find a 510 or a 310 to do something wicked with. if she ever wants to sell it let me know.

From what i remember the frame is the same that was on the Z of the same years... however the motor was smaller... so performnce you could use just about any of the motors out of a Z car...

What year is it and post up any info on the car and Ill see what I can do for ya..

-Aaron

As I stated in the original post, its a 1970 710 with one blown cylinder. It has the original paint and almost no rust (2 nickle sized spots on the rear quarter pannel). She's in Ames, IA 50010, so if anyone is REALLY interested make an offer. She loves the car to death, but just can't afford a $5000 swap. If anyone can think of anything cheap to swap, I'm pretty sure I can convice her of it. THanks.

Originally posted by ktanaka@Jun 30 2004, 09:14 AM
As I stated in the original post, its a 1970 710 with one blown cylinder. It has the original paint and almost no rust (2 nickle sized spots on the rear quarter pannel). She's in Ames, IA 50010, so if anyone is REALLY interested make an offer. She loves the car to death, but just can't afford a $5000 swap. If anyone can think of anything cheap to swap, I'm pretty sure I can convice her of it. THanks.

there wasnt anything about the year of it in the origianl post.... but anyway.. as i said you can get the motor from a Z car of the same area and put it in her car.. the whole thing wont cost you 1000... so you dont even have to worry about that...

and if worse comes to worse and she really has no money then just sell the car and buy something else.... its sad but sometimes you dont have any other choice..

^^^ Sorry, I posted the year in the post on hybridz.org. I wasn't thinking. Do the Z mounts line up right? Is it pretty much just a drop in?

I would think so... since the blocks are somewhat similar... maybe do a google search to see if there is a 710 club or somehting and maybe they have done some crazy swaps.. and prolly have a cheap solution for ya...

-Aaron

could do a rotary. or even a ka swap. both are cheaper then a sr20. or if you opted for an older, less computered engine, you could swap an L series or even a Z. check the nissan sites.

Originally posted by nismogod@Jun 30 2004, 05:06 PM
could do a rotary. or even a ka swap. both are cheaper then a sr20. or if you opted for an older, less computered engine, you could swap an L series or even a Z. check the nissan sites.

BY GOD... its almost like some one has said that before... CRAZINESS....

rotary is out of the question. She wants cheap realiabiliy. I'm thinking a KA24 motor of some sorts (from a 240sx). That would be cheap and easy to drop in.

i agree on this one .... go for a DOHC version of it and it will last for a while...

-Aaron

Originally posted by importjdmcivic@Jul 1 2004, 10:57 PM
Drop in a VG30dett or whatever it is from a twin turbo 300zx...you're talkin torque like no other.

yea... do that, cuz yknow the motor, ecu, wiring harness, trans, and all the custom work can be slammed into that car for what..4 maybe 5 thousand...

sounds cheap to me......

hey I got an idea you with the stupid ideas... SHHH!

-Aaron

Originally posted by importjdmcivic@Jul 1 2004, 09:57 PM
Drop in a VG30dett or whatever it is from a twin turbo 300zx...you're talkin torque like no other.

While I admit that would be badass, its completely out of the question. The swap has to be done in less than $1000, if not SUPER cheap like $100-200.

Today I'm going to go searching for a 240sx engine or a Z engine for cheap that runs.

Back