Dazed and confused 88crx si

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Wow, just got my first honda here, stock crx si, only mods are header and cold air. In mans quest for horsepower I am rowing without oars. I would like to do a motor swap as that seems to be best bang for the buck, I don't have many options locally here, gotta love South Dakota. Te only shop that mods imports here shot me a price of 3600.00 to do a b16 motor swap, that was motor, tranny, everything. That seems like alot of cheese to me. IO am wondering what swap is straight forward, requires least amount of custom work, i'm not afraid to get my hands dirty, just not trying to reinvent the wheel. I also would like to keep my tranny, love the close ratio and low gears. I'm just overwhelmed with d this and b that. Would it just be easier to buy a built car? Thanks

Attachments

• Picture 037.jpg
    Picture 037.jpg
    417.7 KB · Views: 216
  • Picture 038.jpg
    Picture 038.jpg
    545.6 KB · Views: 189
if you are in cali, there are 130487320847230 places to get swaps. i would just order your engine from Specializing in JDM-USDM Engines & Parts...hmotorsonline.com then pay someone $400 to do the swap.

you should consider the b18a or a b16. they are both easy and cheap swaps to do. you should be able to get a b-series in there for under $2k if you shop around. $3600 is a price that shops throw out when they want to rip people off. I like to call it "the random white boy" price. I know its racist, but a lot of the shops here in washington will charge a huge amount when they get random customers rather than the regulars.

swaps

I need very specific info as to what model motor will work with my obdo, tranny, all that good stuff. I am confident I can do the swap, myabe pay someone to wire up anything that isn't straight forward. a couple grand complete swap on the road is fine, again need to know what motor i'm looking for b16 what? and whats the deal between 16 and 18 besides cubes? If there is a link for all this stuff please help a guy out....

Hasport Performance, Inc. Motor mountsRywire - Online Store 'Plug and play' wiring harness
Majestic Honda - The Internet's #1 Honda Automotive Parts Store For all your genuine honda parts needs
Honda Parts Catalog - Images, TSB's, Parts Numbers, Honda Part Codes. Good for finding part numbers by diagram
Honda / Acura Manuals - Hondahookup.com Resources written by honda
Reference Materials - HondaSwap Forums Our resources written by we the people

From what I know about emissions in my area (NW indiana), it's legal to swap any motor that is equal to or greater than the emissions spec of the factory motor/chassis.

Your probably doing a swap that 130487320847230 have already done. Keep that in mind.

O yeah, get a new tranny with the motor.

The difference is displacement.

B16 = 1.6 liters
B18 = 1.8 liters
B20 = 2.0 liters
H22 = 2.2 liters
H23 = 2.3 liters
etc

B16 or B18 would be the most straight forward.

All USDM (US domestic market) will have a numbered designation after the variant letter. Such as; B16A2.
All JDM (Japanese dom.. market) will have no numbers after the variant letter. All generations of B16 in japan are B16A only. This is not true for B18's tho.

Instead of me explaining everything, read up and then ask some detailed questions.

Last edited:
if you wanna stick with your tranny I would say go with a d16y8 motor, the mounts are the same, your tranny will link up to it, and the only thing you would need to switch out as far as accessories is the ecu and wiring harness. It is the sohc vtec motor from a civic ex. Besides a jdm d15b it probably has the most stock horsepower you will find in a d-series motor at around 125 ish. but the plus side is your cold air intake and headers will most likely fit on this motor. Also if I were you I would probably buy a high flow cat, and a cat back exhaust to increase the horse power you have now.

tranny

Ok, i'm wading througha bunch of stuff here, b series motor will not hook to my d series tranny. Ok, well that sucks. Guess i'm ordering my complete swap tomorrow, can HMO hook me up with everything I need? Is the lsd worth buying when I order everything?

lol, im glad to see your asking advice before you order the wrong shit.
but i would read through some of those links first to make sure you understand everything.

hmo can give you good info too.

personally i would (and did) go with most of this:

b16a engine and tranny from selected company, ie: hmo. *around 12-1500 shippped
get your billet mounts from index same as hasport but cheaper, look on ebay you may find some for cheaper. *around 250
DO NOT BUY NO NAME STEEL MOUNTS THEY SUCK
axles from a DA integra *around 120 for both
and shift linkages from either ebay or another site. * around 100

if you decide to stay obd0 that should be about it unless im forgetting something.

but if you decide to go obd1 you will need:
obd1 b16 or gsr distributer. *distributer king runs about 150- good company.
obd0 to 0bd1 ecu conversion harness
obd0 to 0bd1 distributer conversion harness
the harnesses you can get from Rywire - Online Store they come in a set with the vtec wireharness as well.

good luck. and its pretty easy, if you have technical abilities and can follow instructions then it shouldnt be a problem. and you need tools too.

MINI ME.. my budy had a mini me in his hf crx.. tor everybody up.. seriously... but it also had pistons, clutch flywheel full exhaust header and intake... it beat gsr's all day...

I'm new to the forums and I apologize in advance if this seems repetitive of something someone else has asked. I have a 1988 Honda CRX DX with a 1.6L engine, its automatic and I'm converting it to a manual and doing a complete swap. Honestly I don't know much about these things (which is why I'm here and I noticed the topic is practically the same) so I wanted to know what you guys would think the best engine and transmission would be for the setup. nick I noticed you suggested a b18A or b16, but I want the most power I can get and money really isn't an option here. (I'll just stick it on a stand and piece it together as time and money permits, I'm not in a hurry whatsoever)

Last edited:
well if its not your daily driver, and you can take your time on it I would say look around everywhere...ebay, craigslist, on here, and any other site that has a classified section. Look for a k-series motor. they are expensive, but the power gain would be ridiculus.

yea I know where and how to get them I just dont know which model engine would be best suited, I appreciate the input.

Back