1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DC Sport or Skunk2

Discussion in 'General Tech and Maintenance' started by cubasonlysiblurre, May 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cubasonlysiblurre

cubasonlysiblurre Junior Member

Witch one is better and cheaper and on a civic does single bend or duel bend matter that much

2. asmallsol

asmallsol Super Moderator

Witch? where?

Alot of people have skunk2 ss and are happy with them. As for cheaper, do your own research. ebay or froogle

3. capone9399

capone9399 Senior Member

idk about skunk2 but i really like my dc.

4. jimboburgess

jimboburgess Go fast, Go Cheap

why do you need a short shifter?

Just move faster

5. brian11to1

brian11to1 Senior Member

Stick w/OEM. OEM ITR 98+

6. GSRCIVICTN

GSRCIVICTN Lost in a sea of rednecks

You know, I never even thought about that. Hmmm... Oh well. I like my B&M anyway. I have two 5th gen. Civics-one with a short shifter, one without. After driving the one w/ the short shifter for a while then going to the other, I feel like I am shifting a linehaul tractor. The way I look at it, though, everything I do to and with my car shortens it's life so why not go and shift faster?

7. 92dxhatch

92dxhatch Senior Member

agreed!

that is the exact way i shift, and probably the best. when you try to shift like a fighter pilot, your wrist is not relaxed and you have a higher chance of miss-shifting. its easier for your wrist to bend up or down than sideways.

the way you shift can help alot. my buddy has a prelude, very nice car, but his shifting isn't the best. and i can take him to about 80mph then because he has a HUGE motor he'll take me from there, i just kinda fall behind in my 1.5 :) oh well. but seriously, short shifters are nice, but it takes a more precise shift to get it perfect. good luck

~Ryan

8. GSRCIVICTN

I agree with you, Blanco, on the shifting technique. I have yet to grenade a tranny though. I have had the short shifter in the coupe for well over two years and THOUSANDS of miles with no problems. I must not be doing something wrong. I need to work on that.
    Possibly the shifter I have isn't extremely aggressive.

Brian mentioned using a 98+ ITR shifter. Is it a shorter shift than with a stock Civic one?

9. lil_red_si

lil_red_si Senior Member

agreed...stay with stock

10. cycloneb18c3

cycloneb18c3 Senior Member

Ive got a skunk 2, ive had it in there for 35,000 miles, i havent had any problems with it.
    i got the double bend one

11. MikeBergy

MikeBergy Blah blah blah....

I have a tenzo short shifter. I like it. Blanco, I agree with your shift technique, but I have to say that the short shifter keeps me from rowing with my whole arm. My shifts are much more crisp and wrist oriented than with the stock shifter. I got it more to minimize my arm movements while shifting than to shift faster. I also replaced the bushings with energy suspension bushings, and the shifting is 100% less sloppy. Now to replace the linkage, and I'll be set. Oh yeah, the shorter throw of the shifter keeps my hand closer to the wheel, which I count as the major advantage to having it. You just have to remember not to be a ricer when driving, and you won't have any problems whether with a stock or aftermarket shifter. But that pretty much goes for any mod.

12. cycloneb18c3

cycloneb18c3 Senior Member

shift slower..build a faster car to make up for the slow shifts..it all works out lol

13. CrazyAzn

CrazyAzn Senior Member

Lol, i bought my short shifter because i got tired of the trucker shifts. . . it was like i had to use my whole arm to make a simple shift, not to mention the extra force. . . with the short throw, im more relaxed and make smoother, easier shifts. . . not to mention i took the slop out of the stock shifter. i swear i thought i was in neutral a couple times when i was actually in gear. . . fun times.

but i never actually researched that it shortens the life of your tranny. . . go figure, but if you drive your car like a sane person and not some ricer. im sure things will be fine.

now if your racing around town like all the ricers around here do, then of course your tranny is going to die alot faster. . . but give some to get some i guess

oh also i do agree with your shifting technique, i shift and drive that exact same way. except sometimes i do leave my hand on the shift knob when im about to smash on someone, or sometimes at my side when im crusing on the way to school. . . my daily 25mi commute.

and to answer your question i love my skunk 2 dual bend short shifter.

14. 92dxhatch

92dxhatch Senior Member

for a true race shifter thats best and close to your steering wheel, this is your best bet. its ugly, but it works great!

Clicky!

good luck!

15. 92dxhatch

92dxhatch Senior Member

Right on, glad you liked it!!!

cool story about your girl, its a simple way to drive [​IMG]

16. CrazyAzn

CrazyAzn Senior Member

i have short arms, hahaha

17. Taco15

Taco15 I wear stretchy pants VIP

well looks like this topic has tirned into a class.lol good find on the site. I read and man, i definitly learned something today. I guess i better start practicing

18. MikeBergy

MikeBergy Blah blah blah....

lol that shifter has nowhere near stock throw. The lever arm on my stock shift is less than an inch long.

Stock
    [​IMG]

The whale penis style one in that link.
    [​IMG]

19. Taco15

Taco15 I wear stretchy pants VIP

lmao! !!! WHALE PENIS! WTF. HOW'D YOU COME UP WITH THAT

20. GSRCIVICTN

Blanco, I believe you have a valid point. But like I said earlier, everything I do with my car drastically shortens it's life. I accepted that before I started building it. Knowing how to drive and to shift is very important. Just because you know how to doesn't mean that some people wouldn't still want to shift faster. Saying that you don't need a short shifter to shift fast is like saying you don't need nitrous oxide to go fast. TRUE-but it helps!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.