Deal or no deal?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

kerry400f

Well to start off I am kind of a noob so dont please don't get on me. but i will take consrtructed criticism. I just recently bought a tuner for gas mileage but i have to add some performance. Before this I was into 4x4 trucks and muscle cars and my dad and I actually worked on them so with motors i know whats going on but with turbos I have no idea, but I am reading up on forums around here to get to know them. Anyways to the point.

I have a '94 lude h23 aem intake,full exhaust system. I am thinking about turboing it, but i plan on buying everything i need before I do it. And yes i plan on building the motor and upgrading fuel management and a hondata. But on ebay i found this and do you guys think it is a good price and good place to start?

eBay Motors: 92-01 Honda Prelude H22 Turbo Kit (item 280235651975 end time Jun-16-08 16:52:08 PDT)

Thanks,
Kerry

P.S. Also any advice with this project feel free.

Depends on what your goal is..I am sure your gonna have a bunch of people get up here and say do your research and you get what you pay for and they are right... from what I understand eBay turbo kits have come along ways but you can kinda look at them and tell they are just cheap. If your not looking to spend a lot of money look for deals, but save up a get some good quality parts, i'll advise you like I was advised...get a good turbo, wastegate, manifold and BOV...the other stuff don't really matter as much but you do want to get Silicon Couplers and T-bolt clamps with the piping. If you could get that turbo for $100 dollars of so yeah that would prob be a good deal, but don't expect it to hold up but so long, you said you worked on muscle cars and 4X4's so you know that buying cheap parts isn't the way to go...especially if you want to make some decent power, but with that kit your taking the risk of spending even more money in the long run....what Kind of power goals are you looking for?

I know it is really cheap. That is why I was kind of hesitant on it. Do you think I should just save my money and buy a name brand kit? What manufacturer would you recommend?

Depends on what your goal is..I am sure your gonna have a bunch of people get up here and say do your research and you get what you pay for and they are right... from what I understand eBay turbo kits have come along ways but you can kinda look at them and tell they are just cheap. If your not looking to spend a lot of money look for deals, but save up a get some good quality parts, i'll advise you like I was advised...get a good turbo, wastegate, manifold and BOV...the other stuff don't really matter as much but you do want to get Silicon Couplers and T-bolt clamps with the piping. If you could get that turbo for $100 dollars of so yeah that would prob be a good deal, but don't expect it to hold up but so long, you said you worked on muscle cars and 4X4's so you know that buying cheap parts isn't the way to go...especially if you want to make some decent power, but with that kit your taking the risk of spending even more money in the long run....what Kind of power goals are you looking for?
I'm looking at like 250ish and yea I know what you mean by you get what you pay for.Thanks for the advice.

I'm looking at like 250ish and yea I know what you mean by you get what you pay for.Thanks for the advice.

$250ish for an entire turbo setup???

You're fucking insane dude. A quality exhaust system costs more then that. If you want to do boost and actually do it right then budget a couple thousand dollars, not a couple hundred...

Well to start off I am kind of a noob so dont please don't get on me. but i will take consrtructed criticism. I just recently bought a tuner for gas mileage but i have to add some performance. Before this I was into 4x4 trucks and muscle cars and my dad and I actually worked on them so with motors i know whats going on but with turbos I have no idea, but I am reading up on forums around here to get to know them. Anyways to the point.

I have a '94 lude h23 aem intake,full exhaust system. I am thinking about turboing it, but i plan on buying everything i need before I do it. And yes i plan on building the motor and upgrading fuel management and a hondata. But on ebay i found this and do you guys think it is a good price and good place to start?

eBay Motors: 92-01 Honda Prelude H22 Turbo Kit (item 280235651975 end time Jun-16-08 16:52:08 PDT)

Thanks,
Kerry

P.S. Also any advice with this project feel free.

that kit in particular is a bad idea. the turbo is absolute garbage, the manifold is about the same, the intercooler is WAAY too big for the application, and the piping kit is universal. if you want a decent, long lasting setup, you can use ebay, just expect to spend AT LEAST $1000 MINIMUM.

1) buy a real turbo. garrett/air research or comparable. this should be where you spend the most $. check out homemadeturbo.com. those guys always have deals on good shit.(you need to do some reading there as well;)). also, if you are worried about budget, get an internally gated turbo--now you dont have to buy a wastegate
2) stainless steel manifolds suck. they get hot and crack. cast iron is your friend and its cheap. i had a $150 cast iron mani on my last civic, and it had no problems. friends of mine also have them, theyre fine
3) go to ebay and search for the store: "just-intercoolers". buy a reasonably sized unit. they may also have an application specific piping kit with a bov flange on it
4) the knock off hks ssqv/greddy type-s bov's are the shit. they sound and perform quite well and are 1/4 the price
5) now add oil feed/return kit, 440cc(or better) injectors, walbro fuel pump, a good tune, and do some goddamn reseach and learning before trying to cut corners on a project you are not ready to do even properly!

oh yeah, and ps: continue saving $ so when the shit parts suggested fail(and they will) you will have learned your lesson and can buy legit parts.

Last edited:
not a problem man...and If you want to do a kit that is fine, but it would be better to piece one together unless you don't want to go through the hassle of doing that...but it can save you some money piecing one together, especially if you can find the right deals...but like I said if you piece it together do save your money and at least get some name brand parts, such as the turbo, manifold, wastegate and BOV as I mentioned before...but there are some great kits out there but they are expensive...if you don't mind spending the money a kit would be good...and it might save you some time depending on how patient you are, but Turbonetics and Greddy make's some good kits...but Just piece on together, Garrett is a good Brand of turbo...this is my set up (even though it's on a civic) Garrett t3/t4 turbo and manifold, Tial 38mm wastegate, Greddy Type-S BOV...Ebay Piping and intercooler, Ebay Electronic Boost controller and turbo timer, most likely DSM 550cc Injectors (unless I can find some Rc's for a good deal) Ebay Downpipe and Oil lines, Stock p28 vtec ECU (which I am going to get chipped and tuned) and right now I am around $1200 give or take a few dollars and I need to order injectors, oil lines and downpipe...so that prob another $300 give or take a few dollars...I could of bough a greddy td04 turbo kit for $1300 but that wouldn't include injectors and boost controller... I was trying to do a budget build around $1000, but it adds up quicker than you think...had I known that before I might have just gotten the kit, but dunno it's up to you and how you want to do it...But without a doubt save up your money and get some Quality parts and also a GOOD TUNE is key as well when you get all that stuff out of the way..

Last edited:
h23's are garbage..every single person i know with them has had trouble...mostly with the pistons and rods..just a little input

Back