Debating

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Killuminati

Well I have aquired some money from selling the family cabin and I'm looking to do a swap. I've researched a lot and have heard mixed feelings about what I should swap into my 97 civic. I'm going between the b18cR and the K20a2. I know the basics about both engines but what are the major differences between the 2 other than the tranny and hp/tq stats? I'm having a really hard time deciding but I've also heard the k20 into a civic is pretty hard.

It's probably not much help but from what I have read on the k series into 6th gen civics it is far from easy. The main difference is obviously the displacement between the two and the k-series runs "intelligent vtec" better known as i-vtec. I'm not sure what OBD version the k series run but if there is no OBD 3 yet then it is running OBD 2b and your car is running OBD 2a so you may also run into problems there. I am currently trying to do an "OBD mix" between my OBD 2a 96 EJ8 and a B16A SiR II OBD 1 and it's not very fun. I would recommend that you obtain a swap with the same OBD version as your particular vehicle. From what I have heard the b18c series of swaps is the way to go for the price and power range. They provide alot more torque than the 16 series motors. There is also a ton of great info in this forum about all the specs and what swaps are recommended for certain gens of vehicles. If you are hell bent on throwing a k-series in there here are some links (found on this forum) that should help you get needed parts.

http://www.hybrid-racing.com/

http://www.k20a.org/

http://hasport.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=32_34

The K20A is hands down, the best four-cylinder motor Honda has ever released to the public. Do it. You'll thank yourself. HASport makes mount kits. Hondata makes an ECU. Do it.

Originally posted by dohch22a4@Sep 12 2005, 08:39 PM
The K20A is hands down, the best four-cylinder motor Honda has ever released to the public. Do it. You'll thank yourself. HASport makes mount kits. Hondata makes an ECU. Do it.
[post=553387]Quoted post[/post]​

Except for the 240 hp 2.2L F20C in the S2000. Or was it a 2.0L? That four banger owns all. :ph34r:

Originally posted by confusatron+Sep 12 2005, 11:23 PM-->
dohch22a4
@Sep 12 2005, 08:39 PM
[post=553387]Quoted post[/post]​

Except for the 240 hp 2.2L F20C in the S2000. Or was it a 2.0L? That four banger owns all. :ph34r:
[post=553497]Quoted post[/post]​

Actually it doesnt, k20s make more power when modded than any honda motor i have ever seen.... Basic bolt ons can put a k20R into the 220whp range. They dont quite produce the torque an h22 does but they scream up top. I'll never go back to bseries. Unless i want to build a cheap boosted car. Its only H or K from here on out for me.

the coolest part about the s2k is that it has the most hp production NA 4cyl. There have also been some guys take a s2k motor and mate it with a k20 tranny... thats sweet... But the end potential of a K is sooo much better than that of a b-series... shit i have seen stock k20 heads out flow built bseries heads... But like i said above. H or K and youll be happy.

and stock f20 heads outflow k heads, but this isn't about the f series. :p

Im happy with my daily driver b16, but I wouldn't mind doing a k conversion if I had the cash to spare and another daily driver until the project was completed, because the k civic would be a badass daily driver :) .

Originally posted by confusatron@Sep 12 2005, 10:23 PM
[post=553497]Quoted post[/post]​

Both are rated at 240hp, but the F22C is usually measured as making a tad more to the wheels than the F20C stock.

Originally posted by Killuminati@Sep 12 2005, 02:00 PM
Well I have aquired some money from selling the family cabin and I'm looking to do a swap. I've researched a lot and have heard mixed feelings about what I should swap into my 97 civic. I'm going between the b18cR and the K20a2. I know the basics about both engines but what are the major differences between the 2 other than the tranny and hp/tq stats? I'm having a really hard time deciding but I've also heard the k20 into a civic is pretty hard.
[post=553126]Quoted post[/post]​

i say call hasport and see how much every thing that they sell for the swap would cost..if you can afford it; then do the swap yourself....make a topic and post pics and ask for help....

its not a cheap swap but its by far the best swap right now....(if you have the cash)

if you dont feel comfortable doing that swap; then i would recomend a b20vtec w/ a gsr/itr tranny....but i would build the fuck out of the bottom end and some nice cams to start....the reason i say this is because the sleeves in the b20 are not real strong.....but a set of forged pistons/rods would do fine for an NA application

if this is your first swap, then the b series would be better for you because everyone here can help you.....not many of us know how to swap a k....yet

Well, my two cents.

The K is better than the B. Noone will fight you on that. So that issue is resolved.

Both can be swapped in. No prob there.

So the real issue is $$$. The B is cheaper. Also has better aftermarket support, but that is changing rapidly. Its a fairly easy swap, and can be built up VERY nice.

The K costs alot more initially, the mounts are more expensive, everything is more expensive. Installation and modification.. Everything.

So, if you are on a budget, get the B.

If price is no object, get the K.

[/2c]

Originally posted by Killuminati@Sep 12 2005, 02:00 PM
Well I have aquired some money from selling the family cabin
[post=553126]Quoted post[/post]​

i'm just guessing that money isn't really that big of a problem if you sold your family cabin...unless if it was to help you pay some stuff off.

there are 3 civic running around where i'm at with the k20 swap (one eg and 2 ek's) and they are mind blowingly quick for just having a swap. I know there is a shop down here called hybrid racing, and they did one of the ek swaps, so if you have any questions i suppose you can give them a call or check out their site...

theoretically, they are not.

but good tuning can make the sleeves alright for moderate boost/all motor.

Back