Debian Users

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

lsvtec

GNU/Linux Evangelist
Hmm, I have all 7 CD's from the latest (as of last Friday) release of Debian Linux. The installer isn't seeing my NIC and when I attempt to force the driver install (or at least the closest thing to a driver offered on the CD) it fails. I would really like network access from this machine.

The NIC is a 3COM Etherlink10/100 PCI model number 3C906C-TXM thoughts?

EDIT: The driver I am attempting to install is 3c59x which claims it is for the 3c590/3c900 series

I can't find any info on your particular card, other than people saying they can't get it to work.

Here's the closest thing I can find:

If you have a 3c905B-TX you will need all the 5.1 updates (specifically the .35
kernel) and the updated 3c509.c (no typo, you want 509) from the NASA site.
With this combo you may still have to boot to DOS and use 3Com's software to
manual set and note the IRQs, etc.

Try to trade it out, perhaps?

All flavors of Linux prefer OLD hardware...like 10 years old and crap...old chipsets apply as well....just find an old SMC 10 card...it'll work like a champ...besides Linux is a waste without network access...IT'S A REAL OPERATING SYSTEM...I have some old stuff PM me...

Originally posted by TrailorParkPimp@Oct 22 2003, 07:01 PM
you tried doing a search for that driver on the 3COM site??

I don't think 3COM write Linux drivers. :)

All flavors of Linux prefer OLD hardware...like 10 years old and crap...old chipsets apply as well....just find an old SMC 10 card...it'll work like a champ...besides Linux is a waste without network access...IT'S A REAL OPERATING SYSTEM...I have some old stuff PM me...

This card is not real new. The 905 drivers should work but they also fail. I just skipped on Debian and went with Mandrake. It seems to be fine with the card.

You can download Red Hat, free.

Or go to cheapbytes.com and buy a "Pink Tie" CD set. Same thing, different name, $5.

But glad you got the card working. :thumbsup:

Originally posted by jiahanhao@Oct 23 2003, 01:23 PM
red hat is too goddamn expensive..

i like suse...

n/m... you got it working =P

the only thing your paying for when you buy linux is the documentation.

I went with Mandrake because I could still dl the ISO's for free (as of two weeks ago anyways, it seems you have to pay for version 9.2). I couldn't find a way to get the RedHat ISO's for free. I wanted to try Debian but if I can't get the thing to install without some serious messing I might as well go with something that I know works.

Originally posted by lsvtec@Oct 23 2003, 01:09 PM
I wanted to try Debian but if I can't get the thing to install without some serious messing I might as well go with something that I know works.

Sounds like a sound strategy...

I still run debian, on both my wintel, and my mac, as I want to be running the same build on both machines. Personally I have not had any troubles with getting to find any hardware, but then again, I have not tried installing the new version.
I have never heard of mandrake, I cannot stand RedHat or suse. Personally I am giving up on runing linux on my Personal Computer, so I am about to do some reseach on FreeBSD, and netBSD, to see which suits my server needs.

Originally posted by jiahanhao@Oct 23 2003, 10:44 AM
Please please don't do freeBSD :D. Stick with linus torvalds.. he loves you...

I really want to play with BSD, as I have never used it before, and I hear it is pretty crazy...

Originally posted by MaaseyRacer@Oct 23 2003, 12:40 PM
I still run debian, on both my wintel, and my mac, as I want to be running the same build on both machines. Personally I have not had any troubles with getting to find any hardware, but then again, I have not tried installing the new version.
I have never heard of mandrake, I cannot stand RedHat or suse. Personally I am giving up on runing linux on my Personal Computer, so I am about to do some reseach on FreeBSD, and netBSD, to see which suits my server needs.

It's not hardware in general, just this NIC specifically. It found the other hardware on the machine fine.

Back