Decided it was time to invest in a Tq Wrench.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Well there is no zero, so 10 is zero. :)

and don't use its lowest 10% of range

(IE if it's a 300inlb wrench don't go lower then 30inlbs)

I have two. The SnapOn is easier to adjust and figure out, but it SUCKS.

My autozone one is my favorite, but it's in 20ths denominations, and isn't ranged too far in the lower range (doesn't go to 15 lb/ft)

I need to calibrate the Snap on and perhaps send it back.

I have that same wrench. I wouldn't use it to torque down head bolts but I use it for everything else.

Straight adapters or extensions are fine, the only accuracy you lose is through flex of the adapter itself (which can be pretty large for long, cheap extensions, for example... they can twist like a torsion bar. A 1/2 to 3/8 adaptor won't flex that much).

Make sure to avoid any adapter that alters the plane of intersection of the wrench and socket though, like a curved or flex-head adapter, for example. Those will completely screw up the readings and take all kinds of measurements and math to use properly.

And dont buy the "inch pounds" wrench from auto-zone. It doesnt measure low enough to do any good. I found that out the hard way, working on a boat motor that needed something or other torqued to 25 inch pounds. Come to find out, if you want to torque something that low and be accurate, you're going to spend $150 or better on a torque wrench.

i've had no problems putting my manifold on w/o a torque wrench.. but like others said.. goodluck getting that sumbitch in there .. it'll be a pain in the ass

I have that same wrench. I wouldn't use it to torque down head bolts but I use it for everything else.

Straight adapters or extensions are fine, the only accuracy you lose is through flex of the adapter itself (which can be pretty large for long, cheap extensions, for example... they can twist like a torsion bar. A 1/2 to 3/8 adaptor won't flex that much).

Make sure to avoid any adapter that alters the plane of intersection of the wrench and socket though, like a curved or flex-head adapter, for example. Those will completely screw up the readings and take all kinds of measurements and math to use properly.

Yeah, that's what I was talking about. I know that using something like that messes with the torque reading and you have to use a bunch of formulas to figure it out. I figured that just using a 3/8" to 1/2" adaptor would be alright though, maybe not 100% accurate, but close enough anyway.

Oh, and yes...intake mani and header bolts are a pain in the ass when it comes to torqueing them. Good luck sir.

i never torque them, you really dont have to. its near impossible with the engine in the car. just do them in sequence and make sure they are tight (but dont strip them, they are only 8mm bolts)

I torque everything by feel until it's within .3 ft/lbs of "good enough"

I love your review. "I held it and it felt like it was going to break".

Yet you didn't use it. hmmm..
i can't tell if you're being a smart ass but would you buy something that felt like it was gonna break?... knowing you, i wouldn't think so...

That just doesn't make sense. You picked it up, looked at it and made a decision to not buy it. Thats fine for you, but it's just your intuition, not an actual review of anything at all.

Back