1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Deciding on a swap

Discussion in 'Civic and CRX - EF' started by Sofast, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Sofast

Sofast Member

Well winter is coming and this is when I start my mods. Undecided on if I will do another LS swap or something Vtec DOHC or SOHC. Having a family im on a budget. What is the best bang for my buck. I have a JDM D15B vtec obd1 but leaning toward a b series. Let me know what you all think.
    Here is the start of my project a 91 Si. Excuse the gay fenders, I couldnt find used and oem new was 330 plus shipping. And yes I know it needs lowered. I have springs ordered. Looks hella goofy now.

[​IMG]

2. phunky.buddha

phunky.buddha Admin with a big stick Admin VIP

Best bang for the buck? SOHC VTEC D16Z6 or D16Y8 with a well put together junkyard turbo system- it's the cheapest way to 200whp. If you can spend a little more money, swap a B18 non-VTEC block in there and turbo it later.

3. digitaleg

digitaleg New Member

I'm also looking into getting a swap into my 89 CRX DX. The current engine has over 240K's and I just noticed the head gasket not working. There's a D15B2 currently in the engine bay and wanted to swap another engine in it.

If you recommend a D16Z6 or B18B, what exactly is needed for the complete swap? Is there another engine that I can just use the same tranny, wiring harness, axles, and ecu without any mods. I prefer just buying another long block and just bolting it on.....

4. phunky.buddha

phunky.buddha Admin with a big stick Admin VIP

D16Z6 will need wiring update, different distributor, and ECU swap for VTEC and MPFI. The B18B will need the same but will also require different engine mounts- that's why it'll be more expensive.

To use all the same hardware and wiring, you'll have to just get another D15B2. You CAN get a better D16 engine but use the D15B2 intake manifold to maintain your two injector throttle body injection setup, but you won't really get much in terms of power gains.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted