1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Decisions, and HG Problems

Discussion in 'General Tech and Maintenance' started by EGProject, Nov 4, 2005.

1. EGProject

Whitinsville, Massachusetts
    Well, as much as I've been trying to tell myself nothing is wrong - today I confronted the inevitable.
    I have a slow HG leak.

Yeah, I've always been avoiding why theres random black sludge in my overflow bottle - and why small amounts of coolant are constantly leaving my cooling system.

I emptied out my overflow bottle today when I was adding more anti-freeze to the system (for winter) and decided to clean it out again. I stuck my nose inside and there was a HUGE aroma of oil. Sure enough, I stick my finger inside the top, and that sludge has a brown sheen to it up against a cloth.

Fuck. [​IMG]

Alright - It's not a cataclysmic blow-out, but it is on its way out. I fill the cooling system back up, and park the car. I'm figuring that the engine has made it this far - and it can hold through the winter. I'm not running the engine very hard (i.e. I don't race, or beat on it) so I don't think its gonna magically blow. I'm gonna try some of that pour-in HG sealer as a bandage for the winter - but this engine is on it's last leg.

Okay, need all the HS'ers to pitch in here - I need to figure out what's gonna make sense. I really don't think it's worth my time and money to replace the HG on a 134k mile D15B7. So here are my considerations..

1. Replace the HG - bite the bullet and maybe boost it in the future.

2. Wait out the winter, then ditch the motor and swap in a B18C1, or B18B.

3. Again, wait out the winter, D16Z6 headswap.

Thanks for any input - its appreciated.
Draft saved Draft deleted