Decisions, Decisions...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

reiko please tell me how your money market is going to produce that type of plausible return for you?

who said anything about a money market? stock options vest, bonuses come, and a few properties here and there. all in due time. all in due time.

who said anything about a money market? stock options vest, bonuses come, and a few properties here and there. all in due time. all in due time.

I didnt see you list any previously except your savings comment.

To retire at 45 like you said do you know what rate of return you would need to have $5 million contributing $1000 a month?

Almost 25% a year. Im not saying not to do this I just wanted to put this into perspective for you.

You said you were looking at buying a house, great. How will that change your contribution monthly?

it wont. I currently pay 1,200 a month in rent. After taxes my mortgage on a 150k house (which in texas will buy you a pretty decent house) will be about the same, probably +/- 50 bucks.

As for the rest, I get about 8k a year in bonuses, and 300 shares that vest yearly from rackspace (between options and emp. stock purchase discounts) which is another 12k a year. So there's a bit more money going into savings than openly mentioned above. I mean its stillonly 600-700k after 20 years, but I can probably get the return im looking for.

Still looking at the numbers and having my finance guy get numbers together indicating how much they will give me for my Fit, how much i will need to spend out of pocket to get into the car, and what my options are under 400 a month.

I drive a lot and it means a lot to me to have a car that I do not need to worry about. I've tried the $3000 car thing and given the amount of wear and tear I incur, $400 a month for the peace of mind of going anywhere I want it worth it. I budget my money very well and I don't spend money stupidly. I don't really go out much during the week and I'm not an impulse buyer. I've plenty of investments, CD's and a good chunk of savings. I have a Capital One platinum (primary card; gas, food, small purchases) and an Amex. I too have lived paycheck to paycheck and a few times (as we can all probably relate to) I have been dead broke. Times have changed and I've learned to manage my money. I'm only 24 years old, but have good enough credit to have financed my Fit for 4.9% with no cosigner. Most of my friends are still struggling to get a loan at all even with their parents signing on.

Again, the extra $100 or so bucks a month is worth not having to pay for ANY maintenance or any wear items.

Do you honestly think a new audi will be more reliable than a 3 year old fit? because i don't....

Do what you want man, its your life!

BTW you are not always upside down on a lease. I can turn in my wifes civic and have equity in it right now.

beat me to it. :lol:
there a lot of misinformation on leases and there always debates. the main reason is because people get confused.

LEASING is not for everyone! Leasing was designed for a reason. If you want to pay to own and not worry about mileage,mods,damage, etc then go ahead and purchase.

If you want a new car every 2-4 years and do not drive much 15k or less per year and not have to worry about high monthly payments, maintenance etc than leasing is for you.
Leasing is another way to purchase. remember you're just buying a short amount of the vehicle's life. you're not financing the full sales tax, you're not making payments on the full $xx,xxx car.

I say go for it. if the company is going to help you than do it. What i would do though is use the savings to buy a beater just in case.

Also, the debate of," well you don't own it" is ignorance. Guess what for thos of us making payments we don't own the cars either. the bank does. If I leased I can be on my 3rd new car with full warranty,cheap payments,gap and still have the option to purchase it if I fall in love with it. If not then I return it and be on my merry way. if the car is worth more than the payoff normally you get that in cash money. if it does not then you just turn the car in and be done with it.

Lease it if you have the opportunity.

if I had the opportunity i would lease an STi from my work. Keep the other car of course. :)

who cares about reliability. It is warrantied. If something breaks, he gets a loaner and they fix it for free.

I would go for it.

Taking the first steps. Trying to put the Fit back to stock. Nothing 100% yet, but I'd be kind of dumb not to take this deal.

It's a smokin deal considering what you pay a month and the fact that it is zero down. The question is - do you really need it? We have something similar where I work. We can lease any honda/acura for zero down, 30k miles/year, and insurance is paid. I believe a fit sport would be around $250/mo. They even pick change the oil for you at work for free. Sadly I refuse drive any of the appliances we make these days:( I'd consider a new Si if it wasn't a Scion TC copy:(

We do however pay taxes on the benefit of getting insurance & a smokin deal.

i'd do it.. thats about the only way i'd drive an Audi, BMW, Benz is on a lease.. because once the warranty is up the repair costs will rape you

Reminds me of the last episode of top gear. 'How much did the ignition coil for your CL 600 cost you jeremy? 1200 POUNDS!?'

Well, turns out I'll be holding off after all. Apparently the leaseplan vehicles are ordered and built in separate orders than stock inventory. And since all the European factories are at capacity, there is a 4-5 month wait for any lease plan vehicle ordered right now.

Yeah, okay.

Back