Degreeing in your camshafts

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

se93

Hi guys:
My H22A engine is on the engine stand (finally!!!!) waiting for installation. I was curious to ask if anyone else has degreed their cams with the engine out of the car? Now that i have the engine out of the car, i would really like to take the opportunity to get this done and have the camshafts degreed at an optimal point. Of course i am fully aware and will be ready to do some dyno tuning and put into use the camgears for fine-tuning.
For basic knowledge and information regarding how to degree your cams, here is a page from Webcams website that briefly explains the procedure:

http://www.webcaminc.net/degreeing.html

Well, now here is the situation. Here is my engine setup:

1995 JDM H22A with:

JUN cams, valvesprings,retainers and cam gears
Port/polish, stainless steel valves, multi-angle valve job
Accord Type R throttle body
Accord Euro R intake manifold
AEM fuel rail, FPR, 3 inch diameter cold air intake
Mugen Thermostat/fan switch
Accord Type R transmission
Prodrive 4.714 Final drive gear set
JUN flywheel, ACT HD p/p, street disc
Greddy Stainless steel header
2.5 inch custom exhaust
PE Timing belt
Prodrive oil pump gear
Prelude Type S pistons
Hondata S200
Hondata heatshield gasket
Block internals fully balanced

The engine has all brand new honda OEM parts and has yet to be started. Basically a brand new engine awaiting proper break-in. Can't wait to get it started!!

Here is what JUN says is the general guideline for installation:

These are basic factory camshaft installation settings by the way.

Primary Camshaft lobe:
Intake (After TDC) 110 degrees
Exhaust (Before TDC) 110 degrees

"When the center degree is adjusted to these numbers using the primary lobe, the center degree of the VTEC lobe becomes Intake 100 degrees and the Exhaust 100 degrees. "

Please note that when degreeing the DOHC vtec cams, it is required and extremely important (you confirm proper valve clearance with vtec engaged and thus ensure you don't ruin your engine) that the vtec lobe be set so that it is in position as if vtec were engaging.

My question is, has anyone done this and obtained a more efficient base setting for the intake/exhaust vtec lobe? I have heard that setting the intake vtec lobe at 100 degrees is normal and used on most honda/acura DOHC VTEC engines, but on the exhaust side it is very unusual to set vtec lobe at 100 degrees.

What baseline figures have been obtained from anyone who has done this? I would appreciate any input into this matter. Input can be from either B/H series vtecs with JUN cams or any other aftermarket high-performance camshafts.

Thanks in advance

Back