del Sol and Cyclists/snowboarders

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

asmallsol

Super Moderator
I am thinking about trading my prelude (92 si with jdm H22a) for a dead stock 93 del Sol S. Yea I know :confused::ph34r: Anyways, back when I had a del Sol, I wasn't a biker, so this wasn't an issue.

I bike nearly every day, and since roads are horrible near me, I have to drive to ride, so I use my roof rack nearly every day. The seals on the Top of del Sols make it so you cant use a typical roof rack, not to mentioned the mounting points for the tops are flimsy at best. However, roof racks are SO much better for the bike then the typical cheap trunk mount like..
images

Now the idea. Has anyone mounted a Yakima roof rack on the trunk? Its flat and long, so it would be easy to mount and fit a fork mounted rack on there. In addition, it would keep the bike a little cleaner vs a standard trunk mount, and would be slightly more aerodynamic then a typical roof mount (on a normal car) In addition, it would be safer for my bike if I ever got rear ended.

PS, if anyone gives me crap from uglifing a del sol with a roof rack on the trunk, my bike is worth much more then a del sol or my current car. It gets priority.

Last edited:
I got a tow hitch for my CRX...never installed it...but they also sell bike racks that bolts to tow hitches....

i saw one oncce that had a skid plate for the trunk lid/rear wheel, and a fork mount on the 'roll bar'

let me see if i can find that again

I have the trailer hitch mount on my ML for my bikes. It works pretty well.

I kinda want to avoid typical trunk or trailer hitch rack since that puts an expensive piece of hardware in arms way. I've been rear ended twice now from people just not paying attention. Nothing major to the car, but if a bike were there, it probably would have destroyed it. In addition, being behind the bumper cause the bike to get dirty fast, and when my bike is easily worth 3 grand, you become protective of it.

b, find that pic, I can't Visualize. I was also thinking of making a bar that would go behind the seats, and when you roll the window down slightly, you would be able to attach the fork to the bar.

I know its not what you want but get a pickup with a bed liner. Get a 2x6 that fits in the slots for wood. Get enough block heads for the amount of bikes you are carrying and call it a day. Thats what I do and don't have to worry about anyone rearending me killing the bikes. I know you have some higher end bikes so it might protect them a little.
I would say keep the lude too but you got to do whats best for you.

Back