Del Sol Engine Swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

NikG

Hi.
i have a d16Z6 engine (sohc) in my 93 del sol.
i'm looking to swap for either a b16a2 or possably a b18..??
or possable anything else.
can anyone give me any advice help etc..??
what will be the easiest..?? will the b16a2 drop straight in (i know the del sol did come standard with a b16a2 on different models)
if not, what would i need.
i know the d series and b series tranny's are different, so i would be getting engine and tranny,
what about axles, ecu's, and other things such as power steering pumps etc etc.
i need this to be the as simple as possable as money is a definate issue.
thanks a lot for any help.
Nik

search. It has been covered 100+ times. Just the other day I made a lenghy topic about a sol engine swap. SEARCH.

Hi asmallsol
i found this post of yours
"any obd1 b-series will pretty much be the exact same difficulty... Anyways, your going to need a b-series tranny, b-series axles, Del sol VTEC shift linkage (integra ones won't work for you) and b-series mount brakets. "
which is a great help,
but i have tried searching and still have a few questions
are the B series axles the same for any car (b series engine out of a civic, would they go into the del sol..??)
what about power steering pumps etc, will the d16 one work..??
will i still need a shift linkage if i get engine and gear box..??
your help is VERY much appreciated.
i gotta do this on the cheap and want to avoid any nasty surprises.
oh and whats a GSR..? you say you have one in your sol. sorry for my lack of knowledge, but i'm new to all this (including message boards!)
thanks again.
nik

GSR is a model of an integra, second best one. It has 170 hp, dohc VTEC. Only teg that is better is the ITR (integra type R) which comes with an LSD, better cams, better gearing, better pistons, spring, and valves.

Any integra axles will work. If you order from a place like hmotorsonline, it will come with axles.

Yes, you will need Del sol shift linkages, EVEN if you get the tranny. Your tranny will not work, you need a b-series tranny if you go with a bseries engine.

If you order your engine from Hmotorsonline, they normally have del sol linkages lying around that they can throw in.

Your D16 ps pump will not work. When I did my swap, I did a little measureing, thought it would fit. Right after we put the mount in, and tryed to put the d16 pump on (never disconnected the line, makes it clearner) it did not fit. You have to use the b-series ps pump, thats if you even want to run PS. I have both ps pumps in my garage, and I just dont have ps. IF you lope your PS right, then it is not that hard to turn.

Also, if you want to run AC, you have to buy seperatly a Del Sol VTEC ac mount. If you use any other, it will not work. HASPORT makes a mount that you can run your ac compressor (D-series) on a bseries engine.

Thanks very much, thats been a great help.
i dont have ac, so thats one headache out of the way..
i will probably wont to keep the power steering though, but at least i know i need to find a pump.
i'm probably going to go with the b16a2 engine as i think its going to be the easiest to get hold of.
you said any integra axles will work, will civic axles work also?? (i think i have located engine gearbox axles etc out of a civic)
thanks again.
nik

They have to be from the 99-00 Si, since that is hte only Civic in the states that had a B series in it.

99-00 Si
93-97 Del Sol Vtec
94+ Integra

Axles from any of these cars will work.

Originally posted by 92b16vx@Apr 14 2004, 04:44 AM
They have to be from the 99-00 Si, since that is hte only Civic in the states that had a B series in it.

99-00 Si
93-97 Del Sol Vtec
94+ Integra

Axles from any of these cars will work.

john, here in the US, we did not get the Sol VTEC until 94.

NikG, All the engines are about as easy to get ahold of, the only real factor is how much you want to spend. Basicly it will go like this...

b18b or b16a3/2 - 2000ish for engine, about 2800 to get it in your car (if you do clutch, waterpump, timing belt, fluids, ect)
GSR/b18C, 3000ish for engine, 3800ish to get in your car("""""""")
ITR/b18c5 4500ish for engine, 5000-5400 to get in your car("""""""")

Also, when I say engine, I mean the whole swap, from somewere like HMOTORSONLINE.com.

thanks alot..
thats good info..
unfortunatley, i'm trying to do it in the UK and stuffs not as easy (or as cheap) to come by.
so i'm just on the hunt for motors now..
as far as i can tell i will need

b16a2/b18c/b18c5 engine, ecu, and tranny (including axle).
engine mounts
power steering pump
del sol shift linkage.

i think thats about it..
if i have missed anything major someone please stop me..!! ha ha
(replacing the D16Z6 in my 93 del sol)

i think i'll just be waiting till the right engine comes up at the right money, i dont really have much of a preference.

thanks again, you've all been a great help. :worthy:

if your in the UK, since the whole "honda" thing is not as in demand over there, you can use that to your advantage. Look in junkyards, and you can find good swaps, for extremly cheap. 92b16vx is stationed in Germany, and in the junkyard by him, there are plenty of swaps for next to nothing. Since your in the UK, there are no GSR's, however, the Civic VTi came with a b18c6? which is basicly the exact same thing as the b18c1.

Originally posted by asmallsol@Apr 14 2004, 03:38 PM
if your in the UK, since the whole "honda" thing is not as in demand over there, you can use that to your advantage. Look in junkyards, and you can find good swaps, for extremly cheap. 92b16vx is stationed in Germany, and in the junkyard by him, there are plenty of swaps for next to nothing. Since your in the UK, there are no GSR's, however, the Civic VTi came with a b18c6? which is basicly the exact same thing as the b18c1.

I just say 93 since the next year models come out what, four months early, but yea technically 94 in the states. :)

The civics had the B18C4 the ITRs got the C6, and I found a complete C6 swap for 3100 euro, but I don't have 3100 euro :(.

NikG, I know a couple people in the UK that are doing swaps, I'll get their emails and post them for ya. Also over on www.jdmcivic.com we have an almost active European forum, so you can check it out.

Back