Del sol has gone on a diet!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

B16

Super Moderator
VIP
So, I have decided to finally put a full cage in the del sol. I have realized I really want to start competing in this car, so here are the first steps towards running in Honda Challenge H1. So far I have just stripped out the interior. Cage fab work will begin July 1st. I'll post more pictures when that part is complete. :) Here is how she looks right now. Originally she weighed 2422lbs, she is now down to 2160lbs. I would like to find more weight to remove, I'm sure I can. :)

Untitled-5.jpg

Untitled-6.jpg

Untitled-8.jpg

Untitled-9.jpg

Untitled-10.jpg

New NRG Suede wheel with NRG quick release and short hub. :)
Untitled-11.jpg

If anyone has any other weight removing ideas, let me know. :p

cf trunk/hood/roof are all possible. the plexiglass roof like i used to have weighs even less then the cf ones you can buy, but they are hard to find.

you gutted the trunk too? not much in there, but maybe a few pounds worth.

Smaller fuel cell? Carbon fiber dash?

I don't know what that seat and rails weigh, but maybe a fixed seat thats lighter.

The dash is gutted and doesn't weigh much. I think once I remove the latches to the roof the skin alone will be very light. Trunk and hood, I think I might do. The trunk will have to have holes cut in it though to allow the rear bars of the cage to mount in the trunk. And yes, the trunk is completely bare. How much do you guys think the front and rear bumper supports are? I would like to lose more weight on the front to help balance since majority of the weight has been removed from mid to rearward of the car. Also a fixed bucket is already going in, either Cobra Suzuka GT or Sparco Evo 2, we need to mount it quite low in order for my helmet not to hit the halo of the cage. :)

Last edited:
NRG-CELL batery :) weighs something stupid like 10 lbs. its what ill be running when i get the time.

GSRCRXsi said:
NRG-CELL batery :) weighs something stupid like 10 lbs. its what ill be running when i get the time.
I'll have to check that out. My buddy runs an Odessy mini batter and has had it die 2 times on him. I guess since this is track only car it really doesn't matter, just needs to be started.

I heard the NRG wheels are madein Taiwan and are crap. It looks a little funny. Looks like the padding is huge.

Wheel has a nice design. I just ordered my short hub adapter. Deciding on what wheel to buy.

You lost almost 300 lbs, how much of the interior is going back in? How much will a full cage weigh?

brian11to1 said:
I heard the NRG wheels are madein Taiwan and are crap. It looks a little funny. Looks like the padding is huge.

Wheel has a nice design. I just ordered my short hub adapter. Deciding on what wheel to buy.

You lost almost 300 lbs, how much of the interior is going back in? How much will a full cage weigh?
They may be made in taiwan, but i'm happy with it. It is very thick, which is actually nice.

No more interior is going back in, only adding cage, replacing drivers seat/seat belt with bucket and 6pt harness. I'll be putting the stock del sol seat back in the passenger side with a 4pt harness for instructing with the car, to take passengers with me. When not instructing though, no passenger seat will be there.

B16 said:
They may be made in taiwan, but i'm happy with it. It is very thick, which is actually nice.

No more interior is going back in, only adding cage, replacing drivers seat/seat belt with bucket and 6pt harness. I'll be putting the stock del sol seat back in the passenger side with a 4pt harness for instructing with the car, to take passengers with me. When not instructing though, no passenger seat will be there.

are you sure thats legal?

around here the driver and passenger are required to have the same style seat and restraints.

pissedoffsol said:
are you sure thats legal?

around here the driver and passenger are required to have the same style seat and restraints.
for HPDE? why? I have never seen nor heard of such a thing. Almost every car that has an aftermarket drivers seat has a different passenger seat.

hpde's don't count. but for anything scca or nasa it is required.

GSRCRXsi said:
do you need a passenger for scca or nasa racing? :p
exactly, the passenger seat will be empty if I'm racing. Infact, there even wont be a seat or harness when the car is competing. :p This isnt' rally B. :)
:rally:

You might look into Corbeau Clubmans. If you have a 33" or smaller waist, they will hold you firmly, are safe, good seats, and are pretty cheap. I think I paid $600 for mine with harnesses. They are rediculously low weight too, something like 11-13lbs a seat.

(at the time I purchased them I had a 34 inch waist and they fit me very snugly. 33" would probably be perfect)

Back