Del sol out with SI in with Vtec need help

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

knitecrepr

I have a 93 Del sol SI and I want to put in a B16a to make it a Vtec. Sounds easy since the engine comes in some off the cars, but what is needed to make it work? I know the shift linkage is different, but it comes with the engine. I know I need upper motor mounts but what about the lower ones? What about the torque bracket on the trans? Also is the back T bracket, connecting the rear firewall mount different? Any help is welcome. Thank you.

Originally posted by knitecrepr@Jan 13 2005, 10:54 PM
I have a 93 Del sol SI and I want to put in a B16a to make it a Vtec. Sounds easy since the engine comes in some off the cars, but what is needed to make it work? I know the shift linkage is different, but it comes with the engine. I know I need upper motor mounts but what about the lower ones? What about the torque bracket on the trans? Also is the back T bracket, connecting the rear firewall mount different? Any help is welcome. Thank you.
[post=445406]Quoted post[/post]​

im 3/4 done my swap now, got hte motor in and running, just figuring out a few quirks.

so here is a list of the problems ive run into swapping an a b16 a2 from a 00 sir civic into my 93 sol

all moutns worked fine except the rear t bracket, i bought a 94 del sol DOHC one, and it DIDNT WORK, bought a 97 del sol DOHC bracket, worked mint. if you have the linkage, that is that part taken care of, im extending my b 16 linkage.

power steering pump off the new b16 had a different fitting than my d series pump, and the brackets from the d series motro do not switch over to put in your d series pump, havent solved this yet but im pretty sure i just need the power steering hose off a b series obd 2.

one coolant hose didnt reach, the hose that comes from the T stat housing into the valve where you control your heat, i used the one of my d series motor, fit perfect.

now the rest of my problems that i had are all computer obd 2 related, so depending on what obd b series motor you are using, you might not have the same problems i had, its a pretty basic swap. and even more basic if you are using the same obd. but the second gen b16 kicks so much ass i figured it was worth the trouble and the learning experience! :)

The engine I am getting is a OBD1, so do you think the T bracket would still have to be from a 97 Del Sol? Also what about the torque stopper bracket on the trans,{in the front} is it different? The engine I'm getting is suppose to come with the linkage, power steering pump and a/c w/ bracket{basicly if it is attached to the engine it comes with} Is there anything else?

Originally posted by knitecrepr@Jan 14 2005, 07:14 PM
The engine I am getting is a OBD1, so do you think the T bracket would still have to be from a 97 Del Sol? Also what about the torque stopper bracket on the trans,{in the front} is it different? The engine I'm getting is suppose to come with the linkage, power steering pump and a/c w/ bracket{basicly if it is attached to the engine it comes with} Is there anything else?
[post=445834]Quoted post[/post]​

ok well then you wont have any wiring issue's like me, as far as the front tranny mount, yep its the same, so is the top tranny mount.

as far as the t bracket at the rear, now bare with me, i was told to you use any del sol DOHC rear motor mount, i chose 94, no when i got the bracket it looked very similar to my D series engine bracket, the different was, d series t brackts, bolt on the rear rubber mount and on the block, this is the difference, on the engine side the mount "closed" with a sleeve to guide the bolt, these brackets bolt off to the side of the block (dont know any other better way to explain it") the 94 mount had this, BUT the mount that came off my b16 a2 motor, on the engine side, the mount is "open" with no sleeve, and engine block, fits into this opening and upper bolt goes through. now the one i ordered for the 94 dohc, looked like a d series, so i went back, ordered a 97 dohc, and it came with the "open" end, and fit perfectly. so if honda did send me the right part, then a 94 dohc mount will work on first gen b16. if your engine comes with the bracket on the back of the engine, look at it and see what it looks like, is there a sleeve to guide the bolt or is the bracket open to accept the block in between.

also i used b16 axles in place of my existing d16 axles.

use your existing d series wiring harness on your del sol now if your motor doesnt come with a harness, either way, with an OBD 1 car and OBD1 engine, its basically plug and play homie :)

Back