Del Sol Question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

uncleben

my friend just got a del sol it dons't say vtec on the valve cover but he says its vtec the guy he got it from also said it was vtec. its the second gen del sol. does anybody know if its honda made it like that.

Del Sols were only made for one generation (93-97) and if it dosen't say VTEC on the valve cover, it's a Del Sol Type S. You can always look on the engine block for the code, it should say D15B7.

just because it doesnt "say" VTEC dosnt mean its not in there ..... look at the engine code
D16Z6 = VTEC
D16Y8 = VTEC

thanks for the help i don't know to much about del sol's i don't see the my friends del sol too much so i don't know if im going to be able to look at the code or not all i really know is that its a 97 SOHC

if the oil cap is on the rear top of the valve cover and the plugs are on the front top of the valve cover its VTEC
if it has a VTEC solenoid its VTEC
if it redlines at 7200RPM its VTEC
if it has disc brakes all around its VTEC
if it has stock rims its VTEC

Originally posted by E_SolSi@Apr 28 2003, 08:10 PM
if the oil cap is on the rear top of the valve cover and the plugs are on the front top of the valve cover its VTEC
if it has a VTEC solenoid its VTEC
if it redlines at 7200RPM its VTEC
if it has disc brakes all around its VTEC
if it has stock rims its VTEC

It is not a VTEC though, it is an SI which has a 125 (127hp on 96+) sohc VTEC engine. The VTEC model had a b16a3 with a redline of 8250 rpms. (however, if it does not say VTEC then for sure it is not this one).

The d16z6 in 93 had a valve cover that did not say VTEC on it however, it still was a sohc VTEC.

my bad ... i should have said "if it ________ it has VTEC"
thanks for making it clearer

Originally posted by asmallsol@Apr 28 2003, 10:32 PM
The d16z6 in 93 had a valve cover that did not say VTEC on it however, it still was a sohc VTEC.

WRONG :
s3eadfc268647d.jpg

93 Del Sol Si.
Easiest way to tell. look at the tachometer, if the redline is 7200/8200 it's a VTEC, if it's 5800 or some low crap like that, it's the red-headed step child of the honda family, the D15B7.

93s didnt say VTEC on the valve cover .... they also have a black valve cover ... that valve cover is from a 94+

Back