1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Del Sol Starting Issues

Discussion in 'General Tech and Maintenance' started by Havok, Jun 4, 2004.

1. Havok

Havok Senior Member

Every so often, I have a problem when starting the Del Sol. It happens once every 1-2 months, but it came at a horrible time today--I had to call in sick.

I started it at about 10:00 and drive it for 5 minutes, went to my parents house for 5 mins, and tried to start it again--went to about 750 rpms, died.
    Tried it 30 seconds later...engine didn't even turn over.
    Tried it 2 min later, went 1/2 throttle to about 4k rpms, engine slowly went to 0 and died again.
    Tried it 5 minutes later, gave it more throttle, and kept it constant at about 3500-3750 rpms, it wanted to die, but I started going in reverse, and had to keep it above 3k at all times. Went I go to the stop sign about 1/4 mile down the road, it idled fine, same at the stop light by my house.

I checked the spark plugs, wires, etc...they looked fine, but I went ahead and ordered new ones, along with distrib cap and rotor for a tune-up. Anyone know what the problem may be? It seems to be totally random, sometimes it will sit for a day and not start, other times I may be making 5 different stops, driving for about 2 hours, and it will do it.

2. asmallsol

asmallsol Super Moderator

kinda sounds like a fuel problem if its random like that. Maybe your injectors are extremly clogged?

3. reckedracing

reckedracing TTIWWOP VIP

or perhaps an electrical problem in the dizzy?

4. Havok

Havok Senior Member

Hrmm...it might be that, I will check that.

As for the dizzy, if I get a chance I will take a closer look, but all the wires seemed fine with no fraying or anything similar...I don't think it would be random if there was an electrical problem though.

5. Havok

Havok Senior Member

Fuckin' A.

Ran some fuel injector cleaner, still waiting for tune up shit, it happened again, exact same situation...Started it up for the 1st time, went to parent's house, turned off car for 2 min, started it up, went to 1500, then slowly dropped...no a/c on, not messing with the windows, etc. Waited about 2 min, started it up, revved it to 3500, kept it there while putting it in reverse.

The only pattern I can see is that if the silencer is in, I don't think this has ever happened, only if the silencer is not in, but that would have no effect on it.

6. Jeef

Jeef NO MA'AM Moderator VIP

Does the 5th gen have main relay problems? Is it very hot in the car when this happens?

7. Havok

Havok Senior Member

The last two times, the engine temp has been the normal temp. (After about 3 minutes, it gets to the main engine temp.)

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted