del sol strong bar

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

vtecsir1

my buddy is making strong bars that are pretty much the same as pillar bars but are made out of roll cage bars. they connect above the seat belt bracket behind the headrest. i can get a pic if anyone with del sols are interested. there working on a eg bar too. about $125, if i should have put this in for sale sorry we just thought we would see if there was a need to make anymore. they made one, pics are on.

yes like the harness bars, some guy was making these but stopped for some reason so they decided to make them. i'll try to get some pics today.

bah, they don't mount right. don't bother making them. there simply isn't enough room to go back far enough to give a proper angle to the harness.
that, and there's nothing totally solid to mount it to on the side of the car- welded in or not, i wouldn't trust my life AKA my seatbelt to be mounted to it. but hey, thats me.

professionaly tig welded, material is from roll bar, must remove plastic pieces.
if anyone is interested let me know.
s3f090c5a44316.jpg

s3f090c688f0e7.jpg

s3f090c46c02b8.jpg

its way too high. if you run a harness through the seat back, it should go down and back at about a 45* angle.
attached to that, its going up

you want harnesses for safety reasons... get a real rollbar/rollcage installed and mount them correctly to that

you want some "ooooohhh look at me i have 'racing' harnesses" type shit then get that crap

and if your looking for structural rigidity then still get a real rollbar/rollcage it will stiffen the chasis more than any single bar ever can

its not crap, its something my buddys are working on. show me a roll cage in a del sol im curious to see one since i never have.

no aftermarket companies make them .... you need to get them custom made

search around the internet and youll find some del sols with rollbars and a few with full rollcages

or wait till this winter and ill post up some pics when i get mine put in

but as far as that bar goes it is not going to add much if any strength or rigidity to the chassis of the car ..... you want to do that ... make a bar that will reduce the cowl sway when the top is removed....

all that bar will do is make people think its ok to run harnesses... and without a proper rollbar/rollcage if you flip the car your neck will be broken... have a nice day at least you died in style with your cool 4 point harnesses on :bash:

first of all its not for me, i dont even have a del sol. this is somthing my friends made, there going to use them not me. if your not interested or want to be a dick dont post. how can you prove that it wont work? i dont know if it will but i have no proof either way.

because i have a del sol and i race road course.... so i know a little something about the cars caracteristics under VERY hard cornering conditions as well as the safety concerns with products

the rear wall area is probly the most solid part of a del sol... you have the rear roll bar area along with the 2 walls that are on either side of the area that the window rolls down into.... that area is not a concern as far as stability goes.... unlike the large gaping hole where the targa top is

and as for safety concerns... like i said if you try to run harnesses with a bar like that... not only will it not be legal for any type of racing it is virtually asking for a broken neck in the event of a rollover.... want proof... here ya go....

in the event of a rollover while wearing a normal seatbelt you will be pushed out of the way of the roof that is collapsing in twards your head.... the car will be fucked up but there is a very good chance you will walk away with minor injuries.....

in the event of a rollover with a rollbar and racing harness on the roof will not collapse because the rollbar will stop it.... the car will be pretty banged up but you will most likely walk away with very minor if any injuries....

in the event of a rollover with a racing harness and no rollbar you will be held upright in the seat while the roof collapses in using your head for a rollbar... your vertebrea will be crushed and if you are not lucky enough to die in the accident you will almost 100% surely be paralized from the neck or waist down for the rest of your life and most likely end up with a TBI and have severe brain damage

now as far as why i am pointing this out... its not because im trying to be a dick... its because i give a fuck about other people and their safety.... you may only care about your friends making some money off of unknowing people who will put this bar in their car... but i like to try to educate people... i cant stop anyone from buying, making, or using anything... but i will at least try to make sure they know what they are getting into

here goes....

211598_13_full-vi.jpg

cottrellsol.jpg

delsol2.jpg

delsol3.jpg

I HATE this one...
05.jpg

and as far as real cages go-- Cusco makes cages for the del sol (aka the EG2)
see:

rlb00a.jpg

rlb02.jpg

they list for EG2 as being the C,D, E, and F models from above

Originally posted by timthestick+-->
timthestick) said:
You really want to go custom anyway. And make sure you both weld, and bolt it to the floor. Use a 1/4 inch plate on top, go 6x6, and then on the bottom go with a 6x6 1/4 plate that is there for the bolts to grab onto.

If you do it that way, you'll avoid not passing different NHRA, SCCA, IHRA, and the like standards. SCCA wants it bolted. IHRA wants it welded. Do both, it's legal for all. And on the 3 point? You're better off with 4-6. Seriously. Either make a 4 point with 2 door bars hung low, or a 6 point with 2 door bars, and 2 rear bars. Anything less, and you're still going to have a del Taco.

If I wasn't having server probles right now, I'd post pics of my cage.

Stick

happycorepuppy

You need a main hoop and a secondary front hoop for sure. This will protect you in a rollover. A rollbar really doesn't do much more than the stock rollbar...the front part of the roof by the windshield still folds in and tries to kill you. So, 2 points for the main hoop and 2 for the main rear hoop. You should also have door bars and rear supports that go through the rear window and the trunk lid to the shock towers, but both of these things severely limit usefulness of the car on the street. They are required if you go seriously racing.

In reality, I'm guessing you're doing it for show, so do whatever the hell you want But if you don't do it at least somewhat right, you'll have haters like me & tim who think non-effective rollbars and cages in show cars are bad and give kids wrong ideas about safety...

and finally, what NOT to get:

s3f0a5fb9a29b6.jpg

i will link them to this page, they werent trying to sell these to unknowing buyers. these have been sold before so they made some but improved on the other design. they are quite capable of making anyone of those cages, if the bar was placed lower like in one of the pics on here why wouldnt it work? its the same material and would be in the same location as on the full cage.

the main problem with the bar is that its not welded onto a cage. the other problem is that it uses the stock seat belt mount bolt (from what it looks like) but in the event of a crash, where the harness is bolted to will put a different angle of stress on the bolt, an angle that its not designed for.
furthermore, having a racing seat and a harness in a car without a full cage will 95% of the time kill the driver in a roll-over crash. instead of the seat braking and you going down with it- your head and body AREN'T going anywhere when you are strapped in like that. And that's the real danger to these bars.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Jul 8 2003, 01:35 AM
the main problem with the bar is that its not welded onto a cage. the other problem is that it uses the stock seat belt mount bolt (from what it looks like) but in the event of a crash, where the harness is bolted to will put a different angle of stress on the bolt, an angle that its not designed for.
furthermore, having a racing seat and a harness in a car without a full cage will 95% of the time kill the driver in a roll-over crash. instead of the seat braking and you going down with it- your head and body AREN'T going anywhere when you are strapped in like that. And that's the real danger to these bars.

Ok, so I have a roll bar in my car with a cross bar from driver side top left to bottom right, so how would I be able to put something in for racing seat harnesses? I am getting a set in august but I am also thinking of getting the extensino for my roll bar making it a cage, and stuff. Would I just make another bar to go across the roll bar to put the harness attachments? or what? I will still be running stock seats though because the seats I want are expensive.

there are a few options as far as mounting a harness .... you can have a horizontal bar welded on to your rollbar at the correct hight to attatch the straps to...

or you can mount them to other secure locations in the car

Belt16.gif
Belt18.gif

Belt17.gif
Belt19.gif

just pay attention to the angles
this is one instance where a harness bar is a good idea
if you must mount the harness at a large angle then add a harness bar to reduce downward force on your shoulders, spine, seat, and added stress on mount locations in the event of a crash

heres some info on the recomended angles
http://www.ompusa.com/harness_notes.htm

Thnx, I appreciate the explanation. I think I will just mount them to the cpillar like the one on the left.

well at least now i know im not the only guy with a black sol in which the paint is fading off the trunk/hood.
--in reference to the second pic--

Back