Del Sol Swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

eyesonlybob

well, as most of you know my car was totaled. therefore, im getting a new car and a swap. ive been looking for a hatch, no luck. even a coupe...few, but there riced out. but theres a bunch of stock del sols in my area.

my plan is to build up a gsr and swap it in, but if i get a del sol...the swap should be the same as if it was for the civic right?

the other thing is...will my tein's for the 5th gen civic fit the del sol?

any other constructive insites from you all would be nice.

what kinda extras does the del sol have? like the civic si as an example...rear disk brakes, sway bar...etc.

everything but the shift linkage should be the same

the teins will fit

the following information was coppied from www.teamdelsol.com (excelent source of info on del sols):

STANDARD ON ALL MODELS:
The del Sol was always a "Hard Top Convertible" with a lightweight targa top you can put easily take off and put in the trunk. The trunk comes with a liftable roof holder, so you can get under it easily to get stuff out of the trunk, dual airbags (93's only had a single drivers-side bag), four-wheel double wishbone suspension, front stabilizer bar, power side windows, power rear window, an adjustable steering column, tachometer, digital clock and rear window defroster.

The Si model has additional standard goodies such as an AM/FM stereo cassette, power-assisted four-wheel disc brakes, power-assisted rack and pinion steering, 14-inch alloy wheels, dual power mirrors, power door locks (95-97) and cruise control.

The VTEC offers these standard exclusive features: an anti-lock braking system (ABS); larger front and rear stabilizer bars; and larger performance oriented tires.

The only other options are del Sol floor mats, seatcovers, and air conditioning.

you need the linkage for the del sol VTEC (the one that came with the B16)

the shift linkage from a del sol Vtec.
damn, i had a set sitting in my garage about 2-3 weeks ago and i would have given it to you for free. some guy came and picked it up, didn't charge him anything cuz i'm cleaning out my garage since we're moving.

you could have easily gotten 100 or so for that linkage. o well

i know, i just didn't want to hassle with trying to sell them and plus it takes time to sell that shit. i still have some parts left, i think i might keep them and just post it on ebay or something. sorry eyes.

Originally posted by rsaeini@May 8 2003, 11:05 AM
i know, i just didn't want to hassle with trying to sell them and plus it takes time to sell that shit. i still have some parts left, i think i might keep them and just post it on ebay or something. sorry eyes.

no problem. is there some place online i could order the shift linkage? new or used. i have a feeling its gonna he hard to find one since it has to be from the sol with the b16.

*edit* i found one at Inline four it says del sol vtec...doesnt say weather its the b16 one. but it says its new...so i should be able to get this from hparts.com or something right?

the del sol VTEC is the model that came with the B16A

del sols were named rather poorly

S = D15B7 (SOHC non-VTEC)
Si = D16Z6 (SOHC VTEC) or D16Y8 (SOHC VTEC) 96+
VTEC = B16A3 (DOHC VTEC) or B16A2 (DOHC VTEC) 96+

so as you can see the "Si" and "VTEC" models both actually have VTEC

ok, so that shouldnt be as hard as i thought to get

how i have heard some bad things about sols:

1. body shaking when top is down because it is less rigid? true? fixable?
2. pre 96 roof's leaking. fixable but expensive?
3. any things you guys dont like about your sol?

1- true its called cowl sway(sp?) its pretty much present in most convertables... there really isnt a "fix" for it but its not that bad

2- its 93's and early 94's that have the problem .... i have a 93 and have never had any problems with it .... just keep the seals well conditioned and you should be ok (as long as the seals arent in really shitty condition)

3- i love mine its a great car .... not the most practical car out there but i still love it

Originally posted by eyesonlybob@May 8 2003, 09:52 PM
so make sure they're not dry and cracked and i should be fine.

as far as the linkage this one right?

parts 13 and 14?

i dont need all the other stuff do i?

That's all I had (pretty much) going D to B and it worked fine,you really need to call or email them when you order to confirm the B series thing,they sent me a D16Z6 wiring harness instead of the B16A3.

OK to clarify for you you need one from a Del Sol VTEC, the Si one will not work, and you need more than just the rods. Here are the part #'s for them and hparts.com is a little cheaper and usually faster than Majestic.

P/N 54301-SR2-G01 extension, change $67

P/N 54201-SR2-G03 rod, gearshift $39

You will also need the hardware on the tranny side of the linkage (bushing, washer, and bolt). The shifter and other hardware from your S or Si will work.

i was browsing the gallery...and saw asmallsols teins:

s3e8df484156ed.jpg

where as these are mine:

s3e34a8668a9b3.jpg

...im a little confused as to how they will fit the same car?

mine and his and bills are the HA's designed for the integra type R, which require ITR rear lower control arms. yours are the SS designed for the civic.

s3e3d22183c7b5.jpg

thats mine... as you can see... the ITR LCA goes inside... vs outisde on the civic

Back