Del Sol Swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

LloydChristmas

Hey guys this is my first post here and i'm not used to your fourms. I'm sorry if this is in the wrong spot!

Here's the deal...I gotta 1995 Honda Del Sol S with the 1.5 motor in it. The cars been through a motor swap, or at least that's what guy that had it before told me. I can see a few wires that are cut under the dash and what not. It needs some work, but its for my girlfriend so im fixing it up.

The motor runs ok, it's real weak and seems to smoke around 3500-5500 rpm. I am guessing the rings are shot and the valve seals are prolly dry.

My queastion is how hard is it to swap out the 1.5 and drop in a 1.6 sohc VTEC? The b16s or B18 will be put into my project, so thats out of the question. I found a few 1.6s for pretty cheap, but are the trans...ecu...axles...everything needed with the swap? Or would it be easier to buy a new/er 1.5 to fix the probs?

Thanks alot for you time, hopefully I don't sound like a total idiot and someone can help me out.

Originally posted by LloydChristmas@Nov 4 2003, 07:27 PM
Hey guys this is my first post here and i'm not used to your fourms. I'm sorry if this is in the wrong spot!

Here's the deal...I gotta 1995 Honda Del Sol S with the 1.5 motor in it. The cars been through a motor swap, or at least that's what guy that had it before told me. I can see a few wires that are cut under the dash and what not. It needs some work, but its for my girlfriend so im fixing it up.

The motor runs ok, it's real weak and seems to smoke around 3500-5500 rpm. I am guessing the rings are shot and the valve seals are prolly dry.

My queastion is how hard is it to swap out the 1.5 and drop in a 1.6 sohc VTEC? The b16s or B18 will be put into my project, so thats out of the question. I found a few 1.6s for pretty cheap, but are the trans...ecu...axles...everything needed with the swap? Or would it be easier to buy a new/er 1.5 to fix the probs?

Thanks alot for you time, hopefully I don't sound like a total idiot and someone can help me out.

95 del sol s...same car as me :)

run a compression check and see if your rings are bad...if so- honestly id just rebuild the motor in there now

its probably not worth it to you or your girlfriend to source a z6, deal with the addition of vtec wires and r/r the z6/tranny just for 25 extra hp, and if you just get the motor it really wont be that much faster due to the shitcan dx tranny

its all up to you though...good luck :thumbsup:

actually, all sol's regardless of models are pre wired for VTEC so no worrys there.

All of the d series engines are a dime a dozen. It all comes down to what you want out of the car.

The car is for my girlfriend. I would not have bought it because of the S model. I would only buy a del sol if it came with the b16.

But since its for her, and shes not looking for a track montser...I think a rebuild/same motor would be ok.

With the b16 swap you need the trans...ecu...the hole 9 yards right?

Are there any good parts for the 1.5 non VTEC?

b swap you will need everything
if you put in a d16z6 all you will need is the motor it bolts to the same tranny you are using now you will just have to switch your computer so you can use the vtec
also you will need to run your vtec solinoid and pressure switch 3 wires to your shock tower harness easy swap and i recomend for a first time swapper
and you will be suprised with the 20 somthing hp gain so if you can get a motor and ecu cheap go for it
:spin:

yeah.... it wouldn't be a bad addition for 20-25hp... I guess it all just depends on if she even gives a shit if you put a vtec motor in it.

If you want something cool for your single cam buy a valve cover. You should not waste your time with a single cam unless you are going for show and not go. Single cams are slow and weak. :beer:

Yeah right, i got a buddy that has a d16y8 in his hatch with a 1500 home made turbo project and runs high 13's all day. This is on slicks though. And its plesantly reliable. He has put nearly 30,000 miles on her and not a thing. Go with the d16, she's a girl she won't care anyways. Buy her some altezzzzza's and let her think its a race car. LOL, I'd go with the d16, hell I'll sell you my old d16y5 for 200 bucks. Ahhh 45mpg. Can't beat that with a stick.

Hey bro since this is for your girlfriend, just buy a valve cover and an engine dress up kit. She won't know the difference. Maybe buy some seat belt shoulder pads and some cool hoses for under the hood too. :beer: MMmmmm....almost as good as milk!

LOL won't know the difference. She will talk car talk with the best of us. Just cause shes a girl doesnt mean she doesnt know her shit.

She didn't want the car cause it didn't have vtec...but it was a pretty good deal and can be fixed up.

I know she will be adding a small 14g turbo once the motor is rebuilt, but I wanted to see how easy the swaps were.

Does anyone know where to get some decent parts for the D16?

Originally posted by PLAN B@Nov 6 2003, 06:00 PM
If you want something cool for your single cam buy a valve cover. You should not waste your time with a single cam unless you are going for show and not go. Single cams are slow and weak. :beer:

This is a dumb statement. For less then a b series swap, you can throw in Civic GX pistons (the Natrual gas verision of the civic, has 12:1 compresson) redo the head, and tune it, now you have just about 160 hp and to top it off, your about a hundred lbs lighter then a b series engine.

Originally posted by asmallsol+Nov 7 2003, 09:00 PM-->
@Nov 6 2003, 06:00 PM

This is a dumb statement. For less then a b series swap, you can throw in Civic GX pistons (the Natrual gas verision of the civic, has 12:1 compresson) redo the head, and tune it, now you have just about 160 hp and to top it off, your about a hundred lbs lighter then a b series engine.

And about 2 seconds slower than if you were to do the same thing to any dual over head honda/acura engine.

Back