Dell PC Problem

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

reckedracing

TTIWWOP
VIP
so my mom just got a dell PC a little over 3 months ago
so her warranty is over...

so now when she boots the computer up it gets to the select a user screen, but the keyboard and mouse are dead

no lights on the keyboard, and no movement from the mouse

anyone know anything about this?
it happened to me once on her machine and i rebooted approx 15 times and it worked again

im ussuming that its usb mouse/kb.

try going into bios and checking that usb legacy support is "enabled" or just buy a ps/2 keyboard instead.

Check the connections, Open it up and check that the mother board is grounded properly (metal screws are the grounds) Sometimes they work their way loose, and sometimes dell uses those plastic snap-on motherboard holders and like 2 metal screws, instead of all that they are supposed to use.

Motherboard could be crap. :dunno:

really? a dell computer with a crap mother board? NO! can't be!

:p

those things go all the time dude.

dell = :thumbsdown:

but anyway, is it a ps2 or usb mouse?

Either way it's probably your mobo taking a shit. I don't understand why people even buy dells anymore in the first place. They used to be okay till they became the king of crap parts and outsourcing. Maybe their high end machines are better, but their low and midrange ones fuckin suck.

if its usb, check in the bios and make sure its enabled. if doesnt work, plug in a ps/2 one and go check dells website to see if there is a new bios revision. doesnt work, probably as suggested, the mobo is eatting shit.

good luck.

Quoted post[/post]]
im ussuming that its usb mouse/kb.

try going into bios and checking that usb legacy support is "enabled" or just buy a ps/2 keyboard instead.

Quoted post[/post]]
if its usb, check in the bios and make sure its enabled. if doesnt work, plug in a ps/2 one and go check dells website to see if there is a new bios revision. doesnt work, probably as suggested, the mobo is eatting shit.

good luck.
:ph34r:

I got the top of the line dell at home. Fastest at the time, biggest video card, 1 gig o' ram, Retardedly larg HD.. I'll never use all of it.. I'm not into MP3s or movie jackin' or anything.

It sucks balls. Choppy, slow as my older 1ghz machine, video SUCKS..

Dell sucks balls. I Paid 3k for that piece of chit. Got the top model and upgraded everything and got a junker. Not impressed.

It's because Dell's motherboards suck. You can't have all the best hardware and then throw it on a weak backbone. The motherboard is the most important piece of hardware in your system. It's like your spine. If you have a crappy motherboard, nothing else will matter- and Dell's board designs are proprietary, so you can't just buy another one off the shelf and use it in a Dell case. The best solution to your problem would be to buy a standard motherboard from a quality manufacturer, then get a new case and power supply to go with it. If anyone does try to follow this route, do NOT try to use the Dell power supply with a standard board (and vice versa)! Dell's current power supplies aren't wired to the ATX standard, so you'll blow a board or power supply if you try to mix things up.

true that. ill sell you a case and 300w power supply, see through side with neons, led case fan... floppy drive, for 15 + ship.

i wonder if recked forgot that he posted this questions.

Back