dells suck!!!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

mattcalica

so my parents bought a dell in january. since then, it has had to be rebooted twice, and i have come to find out that the dvd burner that it comes with is complete shit. it will make coasters out of anything you put in it. also, the customer support sucks, they have fuckin arabian people trying to help you with technical support, and you cant understand a word they fuckin say!!! god, i wish i never bought a dell.

Rebooted twice since January? If you're running Linux, maybe that's bad, but that sounds amazing for Windows. :D

The customer support is my only beef with them. I can't stand talking to someone who has a 3rd-grade-level grasp of the English language who is supposed to be helping someone in AMERICA.

Otherwise, we use Dell's here at work, and we've never had a problem with them in the 5 years I've been here. Hell, we're still using 5-year-old machine that have upgraded RAM and nothing more. Too bad you had a bad experience with them.

Originally posted by mattcalica@Jul 1 2004, 09:40 AM
since then, it has had to be rebooted twice

When you say rebooted, I take it you mean re-installed... Even so that's about normal.

well they do this so they dont have to pay american workers so much.. think about that next time you bitch about the price of a computer product.

2nd the other thing they dude is give you bottom of the line hardware.. another reason why it's so cheap.. but they make it look pretty.

3rd.. you bought a dell build your own next time for less and get a 2x better machine out of it

my experiences with my old dell latitude CPiA laptops was awesome.

ive never had a better laptop ever.

I have only had one experince with dell and that was through my dad. Probally 3+ years ago, my dad bought a whole package deal for his work. It showed up 2 days before christmas, in the morning. Opens everything up, and the speaker was broken in some way. He calls up Dell, and they said they would send him out a new one. Right before he was about to leave, the airborne express guy shows up with a dell box christmas eve. No one sends stuff out next day shipping when something is wrong. That was good C.S.

yes dell does have there customer service for consumers in India

they have brought thier corporate support back to the US, because they were losing to much business do to the indian tech support

XP home is definetly your problem, IF you want window get XP pro

Originally posted by sleepercivic@Jul 1 2004, 12:00 PM
don't upgrade to XP PRO, reformat and do a fresh install, then SP1

I could really careless about sp1'9er whatever. I dont know the fisrt nor the last thing about computers so I wont be doin any reformating... it works fine now so I dont care. thanks for speaking another language.

Originally posted by SpodaB1+Jul 1 2004, 10:04 AM-->
sleepercivic
@Jul 1 2004, 12:00 PM

I could really careless about sp1'9er whatever. I dont know the fisrt nor the last thing about computers so I wont be doin any reformating... it works fine now so I dont care. thanks for speaking another language.

No, what he was saying was, don't just do an upgrade from the old operating system. You're better off formatting the hard drive clean, then doing a fresh install of Xp Pro, then going onto WindowsUpdate and installing Service Pack 1 (SP1).

Originally posted by dohcvtec_accord+Jul 1 2004, 12:14 PM-->
Originally posted by SpodaB1@Jul 1 2004, 10:04 AM
sleepercivic
@Jul 1 2004, 12:00 PM

No, what he was saying was, don't just do an upgrade from the old operating system. You're better off formatting the hard drive clean, then doing a fresh install of Xp Pro, then going onto WindowsUpdate and installing Service Pack 1 (SP1).

He should have went into a little better detail as you did.

Originally posted by asmallsol@Jul 1 2004, 08:52 AM
I have only had one experince with dell and that was through my dad. Probally 3+ years ago, my dad bought a whole package deal for his work. It showed up 2 days before christmas, in the morning. Opens everything up, and the speaker was broken in some way. He calls up Dell, and they said they would send him out a new one. Right before he was about to leave, the airborne express guy shows up with a dell box christmas eve. No one sends stuff out next day shipping when something is wrong. That was good C.S.

Dell used to have really good customer service, but in the last two years or so it has all gone to shit. We deal with them at work here, and it used to be much easier and effective. Now we are talking to people in India, who do not have computers in front of them, and are just reading a script, and when they cannot figure something out, they just keep passing you up the chain of tech support, where at the top is someone who finally is in this country, and you can communicate with. Dell has become another Gateway/Compaq/HP/every other shitty computer maker.

Originally posted by SpodaB1@Jul 1 2004, 10:58 AM
We got ours in December and since then we've reinstalled XP Home 2 times...

Slackware 10. It's out. Get it.

yeah, i got my first laptop ever.... bought it 2 months ago. it's a dell 1100. i saw lots of folks saying best thing to do is wipe the drive and do a fresh install of everything... yikes. what a nightmare... i had no idea how hard it would be. most of the drivers the laptop came with were already outdated, i had to use my work computer to find all the right drivers... one at a time... audio, touchpad, video problems, all needed new drivers. i had the joy of experiencing tech support too - not only is the language difference a barrier but the phone connection is piss poor -- VoIP maybe? anyway it is working great now (even with xp home)... but man i did regret wiping it when i first got it. easy to reinstall everything on a mac, so different on a pc. oh well!

Back