destroking a d16....

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

philyphreak2127

Back in the Game
Okay I have heard a couple stories of destroking kits out there that reduce the stroke of the motor to achieve more power...duh! But anyways I have never really wanted to just buy a kit and call it good because I personally think that is way less exciting than designing and building my own "kit" so to speak. But I have a few questions for the guys out there that are all knowing. First of all I wanna know what the d-series motor with the shortest stroke is. Then if possible could I take the crank, and rods from that motor and swap them into say a d16, or d17 block to shorten up the overall stroke length? If it is possible I may try it on my y7 block. I am starting a build of a z6 mini me with a y7 block that will have a homemade t25 turbo kit on a vitara setup. With a semi built head. (home pnp, turbo cam) possibly titanium valve train but I haven't decided that far yet. But either way my point is I wanna see if it is possible so I can push a bit more power out of this motor. I have found a site that sells .5 over stock vitara pistons so I may also bore the block a bit and resleeve. But either way let me know what you guys know/think about the destroking theory.

De-stroking an engine doesnt exactly make more power, it just allows higher rev's. IMO, its a waste.

No.

The lowest D series stroke in the USA is 84.5mm with the D15. You can't put a D15 crank into a D16 block because the main journals are a different size. The only possible exception might be the D15Z1, but that engine is a little different than all the other D blocks anyway.

You can get the stock crank offset ground; but you gotta run custom rods. That, or get bearing spacers and custom rods.

D15Z1 won't work either; it's still a 45mm main(same as all D15s)..

They're D13s and D14s; but may be hard to get a hold of them.

No.

The lowest D series stroke in the USA is 84.5mm with the D15. You can't put a D15 crank into a D16 block because the main journals are a different size. The only possible exception might be the D15Z1, but that engine is a little different than all the other D blocks anyway.

D BLOCK SON! haha

They're D13s and D14s; but may be hard to get a hold of them.

D14's are dime a dozen here. Everyone wants that "Type R B18c".

If I go buy some more tools, I'll go to the junkyard today after work and check it out for ya. (Someone stole my tool box that I kept in the car.)

I have always said there are three things you don't mess with when it comes to any man. first his family, second his car, and third his tools. That is f-ed up. A guy at work's car was stolen they took over $5000 in tools and messed his car up big time. He got the car back but all the tools are gone. I feel so bad for him. But would the d14 or d13 crank fit or would I have to have it ground or whatever?

Fits D15 blocks with no mods but use smaller rod journals(HF-sized ones). You're probably better off trying to get a complete D13 or D14.

But you are missing my point I want the added displacement of the 1.6 if possible with the stroke length of something much smaller again if possible, but if the d13 or d14 cranks will only fit the d15 blocks with minor mods than I may just go that path and resleeve that motor bore it a bit and have the .5 over vitaras as I said before.

Dude. I make plenty of power with on my engine with just exhaust headers, catback, intake, and a tune. There's potential for these engines, trust me. Right now it makes more power than a stock d16y8.

If you're interested, I can pick you up a d14a8 for ~ €250 (about $390), Now, shipping will be the issue. Shouldn't cost too much to ship one though, it's not any bigger than a y7.

Edit: With some mild valvetrain upgrades, I figure that a d14 can probably hit 9k rpm. Is that high-revving enough for you? I don't know if it'd make any extra power out that far though. Although, mine still makes power all the way out to 6.8k

Last edited:
But you are missing my point I want the added displacement of the 1.6 if possible with the stroke length of something much smaller again if possible, but if the d13 or d14 cranks will only fit the d15 blocks with minor mods than I may just go that path and resleeve that motor bore it a bit and have the .5 over vitaras as I said before.

If you were to put a D15 crank in a D16, it'll lower the displacement to 1.5l. If anything, just keep the D16. Most D-series don't make power pass ~8000rpm anyways; so there isn't much of an advantage to destroking it(which is the main reason why people destroke; to run higher revs). You'll most likely lose power; a limiting factor is the heads.

Reason I said you might as well get a whole D13 or D14 is because the blocks on those are essentially the same as a D15. Hell, for that matter; just get a JDM D15B VTEC. It has D16 rods but D15 stroke; R/S ratio of like 1.62. A D15 or D16 with the same mods as a D13 or D14 will be faster due to increased displacement.

yeah not happening. besides my y8 isn't the motor in question that is my reliable daily driver motor til my turbo setup is complete. I have pretty much eliminated the idea of destroking the motor so calm down everyone. but whatever anyone have any suggestions for a cam for my z6/y7 mini-me stated above?

Back