Detonation = Boom

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

khai_tuan_nguyen

I have been reading about what detonation is and how it happens etc? But my question is?

Whether it is detonation or just pinging/knocking what will be long term effects/ symptom of too much of either? How do I know if it is a serious problem vs. a small problem? What would i have to fix? How do i know?

Basically I was new awhile ago and swapped in a b20b with b16 head with 12.1 cr pistons. It pinged/detonated(can't tell the difference from sound) when under load. Didn;t know it was that bad. Found out so I retarded timing, increased octane etc. (until i have it dynotuned anyway) and it stopped the pinging. It pings everyonce in awhile (when it is hot and under load)

SO since it stopped does that mean it was just a little bit of pinging and my motor is fine? I will be getting it dynotuned now?

Basically how do i know if there is permanent damage?

Too much pinging/knocking could end up putting the rod through your block.

Detonation is explained best here.

Read up.

Thanks revolution.
I know what detonation/pinging is. I just don't know how to tell what I have by listening. The article still didn't say what the long term effects of pinging/detonation are and how to identify symptomsof the permanent damage if any.

Khai

Originally posted by dohcvtec_accord@Aug 16 2004, 02:38 PM
Ummm, pinging = knocking = detonation. They're all words that mean the same thing: pre-ignition inside a cylinder.
[post=377540]Quoted post[/post]​

Again I know what they are and what they mean. The question is what are the long term problems of having it happen every once in awhile if any? What symptoms will i see to know that i have serious problems.

Khai

I did do a search that is how i found out what pinging/knocking/detonation is? Taht was a pretty good link though. So if my engine pinged/knocked before (on and off for awhile) then i got it dynotuned and it stopped pinging/knocking does that mean everything is ok now? Or could I have other problems? What would they be and how do i fix them?

Here's another great article:

http://www.streetrodstuff.com/Articles/Engine/Detonation/

I'd think that, if your car doesn't have any ignition problems any more, you should be more or less alright. However, if damage DID occur to the cylinder walls and/or piston, your engine could be prone to failure quicker.

It's looking like the only way to tell if there was damage is to take it apart and look at the internals.

And, to correct myself before, detonation isn't the same as pre-ignition. :owned: by myself :shrug2:

Back