diamond in the rough

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

1badEF9

Ok, I bought a 88 civic hatch for a grand, didnt think it would be much, looks horrible.. so i get it home, and start going through it first notice there's been some swapping going on, the motor says d16y7 on it, im assuming thats the block and what the head should be, I think it has a a6 intake manifold though, after looking at pictures of manifolds im pretty shure it is, has a header CAI exhuast, no power steering no a/c. So i go to drive it, and its seems gear fairly low, burnt the tires through 1st and barked in 2nd, noticed it must have LSD both front tires leave patches. Also has a short throw shift kit for shure, so after finding all these lil things, I figure ill take a look at the ecu, pull it out and shure enough its a pm6 ecu and wrote on it, something like SI harness swap performed by pro tech performance, Austin Texas. So more i go through the car more goodies i find, O and at the track it runs mid to high 15's on crap 87 gas, and lil 14 inch crap wal mart tires.. Im thinking, chip the pm6 with a RPT street or race chip, swap to a a6 head(hear the flow better) either keep the a6 or swap to y8 intake mani and a b or h 60mm TB port matched to the intake mani, get rid the cat and run a full 2.5 in exhuast and 100-104 oct and some good grip tires and she should move pretty good. Any other idea's on wut to get injectors etc. or w.e plz let me know

stock honda injectors are 240cc. If want to upgrade you can't just slap in bigger injectors you will need a fuel management unit to control fuel and air. What exactly is your budget we can help.;)

If you're going to swap the head, go with a VTEC head, not just an A6. If you're willing to change fuel maps, converting to VTEC and flashing in a VTEC appropriate fuel map isn't that much more difficult.

It sounds like you got a hell of a deal on the car if it was all done right. As far as Pro-Tech in Austin, I would be very very very wary of their work. I've never had any good experience with them, and I'm not alone in that either.

Back