Did Activision kill the Call of Duty Franchise?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

metal of honor looks sweet.

well i just played battlefield: bad company 2 today with a few of my buddies and i like the game, a little more realistic than MW2.

i would hate to see modern warfare end

call of duty world at war was horrible, the graphics were poor for both systems (xbox360, and ps3) the nazi zombies got old after awhile and the storyline jumped all over the place. modern warfare 2 is definitly much better the graphics and weapons are much much better. but if fuckin activision gets rid of then were all fucked...tremendously...

The solo play on WaW was awesome. I loved that game. The story line jumps all over the place in COD4, MW2 and WaW. You go back and forth from fighting as the US to the Red Army... Its not that hard to comprehend especially if you have a working knowledge of WWII.

mw2 is one of the best selling games of all time.

saying people wouldnt buy an IW game just because it isnt a CoD game is like saying people wouldn't buy a bungie game because it isnt halo.

I am a sheep that follows the shepard that is Bungie. Whatever their next game is after Reach I will buy on principle. I just hope they keep doing work for the 360. I know there is some bad blood between Bungie and MS however.

I just hope that IW bounces back from whatever it is that is really going on. They make a damn fine product and I get the impression that they care very much about what leaves with their name.

On a slightly related note, the Medal of Honor reboot looks pretty damn cool.

The story line jumps all over the place in COD4, MW2 and WaW. You go back and forth from fighting as the US to the Red Army... Its not that hard to comprehend especially if you have a working knowledge of WWII.

:werd:

That's how ALL CoD games are. They jump around. I like it. It gives the campaign modes much more variety...

The solo play on WaW was awesome. I loved that game. The story line jumps all over the place in COD4, MW2 and WaW. You go back and forth from fighting as the US to the Red Army... Its not that hard to comprehend especially if you have a working knowledge of WWII.
He's 18... no child left behind.

yay for failed texas policies being implemented nationally.

yay!!

I am a sheep that follows the shepard that is Bungie. Whatever their next game is after Reach I will buy on principle. I just hope they keep doing work for the 360. I know there is some bad blood between Bungie and MS however.
reach looks bad ass! did you see the trailer for the online? looks sweet, I preordered reach on tuesday

the plot thickens
You've read the lawsuit filed by Infinity Ward's former bosses, now check out a supposed internal Activision memo, which alleges that Call of Duty creators Vince Zampella and Jason West had been flirting with, of all people, Electronic Arts.
The memo, obtained by G4, says that Activision is currently, as part of its own investigations, on the hunt for certain documents related to Infinity Ward's recent conduct. Those are:
-"Documents regarding past, current or future IW projects, including but not limited to any and all businesses analyses of future projects (e.g. Modern Warfare 3)"
- "Documents regarding any potential 'spin out' of IW, including but not limited to any communications with IW employees, West or Zampella regarding forming a new studio independent of Activision"
- "Documents regarding West and Zampella's communications with Activision's competitors, including but not limited to Electronic Arts"
Well well well. Communications with other publishers? Including EA, the same people Zampella and West walked out on in 2002? Link that allegation with the fact the pair believe Infinity Ward held the rights to the "Modern Warfare" brand, and not Activision itself, and things get juicy.
That would certainly explain the to-and-fro over Modern Warfare 2's name. Is it beyond the realms of possibility to suspect that West and Zampella had been seeking a break from Activision that long ago, and calling the game simply "Modern Warfare 2" - a brand they thought IW, and not Activision would own - would be a nice way to maintain momentum if they switched publishers?
No, I don't think it is.
Activision Seeking Internal Documents Related To West, Zampella And...Electronic Arts? [G4]

Interesting. So we could concievably get another Modern Warfare game from Infinity Ward published outside of Activision...

double post

Attachments

• 2010-03-05 13.35.34.jpg
    2010-03-05 13.35.34.jpg
    299.7 KB · Views: 163
I highly doubt that West and Zampella will be able to retain the rights to the MW franchise. Activision purchased the IP from them. They included the IP in their lawsuit for unpaid royalties and bonuses simply to get more cash from Actisatan. Besides, they didn't want to keep making MW games anyway, that's part of the reason MW2 was somewhat of a disappointment. Actisatan basically forced them to not only make it, but make it in a year and a half. They didn't want to do MW2 yet, and the game suffered for it. That is the primary reason there were no dedicated server tools on PC - Activision didn't want to spend the money or let them take the time to program the netcode.

i just hope that if the next call of duty is in vietnam, that they have epic beard man aka vietnam tom in the story line.
Hoppy.JPG

Last edited:
Back