Did Activision kill the Call of Duty Franchise?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

See this is the issue today. People view video games as a time sink. They don't seem able to wrap their head around the fact that a video game can provide the same kinds of experience as Band of Brothers or Saving Private Ryan. Because really, what is a movie? It is entertainment and I really do think that playing the main character will have a more profound impact on someone as to the seriousness of the situation. Fuck, maybe some of these snot nose kids will actually gain some understanding as to what in the hell goes on in the world.

Perhaps in a few years this game will be released. I would really like to play it.

if people integrate more history into these games, it would help a lot. unfortunately the 1 time they do it, there is TOO much realism. sounds like an oxymoron huh?

Even more so when you look at movies and series like Saving Private Ryan and Band of Brothers. I have heard from several folks that it is one of the closest depictions of combat that has been displayed thus far. like that article states, it took years for folks to be okay with any depiction of war other than Washington crossing the Delaware. Then TV came along, then movie etc.

I am betting they go work for Respawn Entertainment. That would be a huge fuck you to Activision. Mass exodus from IW to basically recreate IW under a different banner. From listening to the Bungie Podcast I have a feeling that IW hated the fact that they sold their soul to EA. Bungie was lucky enough to buy out of Microsoft. However they did lose all rights to the Halo IP. Reach is going to be their last Halo title :(

But I am super pumped for the beta! Reach looks amazing. I am a huge fan of the Halo universe in general. I have read most of the books even.
how are the books I was looking into getting them to read

Pretty good. The only one I have not read is The Flood, I hear it is a little out of step with the rest of the Halo universe. And from what Bungie has said on the Podcasts in the past the Bungie writers worked closely with Eric Nylund. Contact Harvest was written by Joseph Staten who is a long time Bungie Employee.

So did you all hear that Bungie joined Activision? That was really a shocker to me. A studio like Bungie that's big on proprietary stuff and wanting to create a new franchise post Halo doesn't seem like a good fit for Activision considering the whole Infinity Ward deal. I can see Activision wanting to turn Bungie into a franchise machine that pumps out a new game at least once a year.

I hope Bungie did some hardcore negotiating on that deal...

So did you all hear that Bungie joined Activision? That was really a shocker to me. A studio like Bungie that's big on proprietary stuff and wanting to create a new franchise post Halo doesn't seem like a good fit for Activision considering the whole Infinity Ward deal. I can see Activision wanting to turn Bungie into a franchise machine that pumps out a new game at least once a year.

I hope Bungie did some hardcore negotiating on that deal...

From what I read they got a helluva deal for themselves. Its a ten year gig, and Bungie retains all IP. Which is what fucked them over with MS and the same is the case for IW. They did not retain the rights to the IP.

Back