did i recieve wrong size pistons?? help!!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

word

hey,
i just bought some wiseco 84.5mm pistons. when i measure their diameter with a ruler they come out to be around 3.26 inches, which is 82.8mm (1.7mm off) is this correct or did i recieve the wrong ones?

thanks a bunch
chris

3.26" is 82.806mm which is a difference of 1.694mm which is 0.0666929"s.

You really shouldn't use words like "about" in conjunction with trying to come up with measurements that small.

You cannot trust the measurements you are getting from a ruler to be that accurate. Have a machine shop measure them and then see (unless you have the proper tools to measure them yourself).

Originally posted by lsvtec@Feb 22 2004, 03:20 AM
You cannot trust the measurements you are getting from a ruler to be that accurate. Have a machine shop measure them and then see (unless you have the proper tools to measure them yourself).

I'm with him...but he's not stupid... like the sign would say. Go buy a 20 dollar micrometer and use those measurements so you won't have to say "about."

i know i can't measure the piston diameter exactly with the naked eye, but i DO know that the pistons aren't 84.5mm in diameter. are the left over space for the rings is basically what i'm asking?

thanks
chris

i'm measuring the piston on the bottom side, and the distance from one end to the other of the diameter is the longest distance anywhere in the circle.

Take them to a machine shop, they will be able to tell you if these are the right pistons.

Originally posted by lsvtec@Feb 23 2004, 09:15 AM
Take them to a machine shop, they will be able to tell you if these are the right pistons.

i agree... no matter how you are measuring them, without a micrometer or a machine shop then you wont be able to be accurate... and accuracy is a huge thing when it comes to piston size, clearance and such

B)

read the box :D if it was sealed, and it sasy 84.5mm, i got $5 on it being 84.5mm pistons

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Feb 24 2004, 03:21 AM
read the box :D if it was sealed, and it sasy 84.5mm, i got $5 on it being 84.5mm pistons

mayan i pray that was the first thing he did!

Back