Did research and this is what I found out.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

YangpaNemsay

Vehicle: EG Si
Engine: D16Z6
Goal WHP: ~200hp, eventually ~280

Problem: Finding an Honda LSD for D-Series.

What I found out after researching my options:

1. I can swap in a S20 Transmission from a JDM D15B. They came optional with an LSD.
2. These D15B LSDs don't hold HP very well. Anything around my Goal WHP #'s would make the LSD crap itself. Limit for these LSDs are 140hp. (From what I read on D-series.org)
3. If I want an LSD I have a few choices. Swap in a 96-00 EX Tranny and find an appropriate LSD later on such as a Quaife Unit. I can also keep my stock Tranny and upgrade to a Quaife Unit.

My Options after researching this information:

1. Use Quaife in D16Z6 Tranny.
2. Install 96-00 EX Tranny and use Quaife Diff.

Questions after researching this information:

1. I compared the EG Si and EK EX Tranny and found some differences which are shown respectively;

2nd gear: 1.900 vs 1.909
5th gear: .750 vs .702

What do these differences mean? I know that the when you change gearing you either stay in that gear longer or shorter. I know that the final drive effects your acceleration through the gears but at the cost of top speed. Would more value in a number given in a gearing value make the gear taller or shorter?
2. Would it be totally fine to stick with the Si Tranny if I am planning to use aftermarket gear ratio kits anyways?
3a. If I do decide to switch the the EX Tranny, will I have to use polyurethane bushings designed for the EX Tranny or will it be ok if I use a complete kit designed for the EG Si?
3b. Also I would still be using a clutch and flywheel designed for the D16Z6 correct?
4. How much of an improvement on the track would an LSD equipped Civic compare to a Non-LSD equiped Civic?

Originally posted by YangpaNemsay@Dec 3 2004, 02:09 AM
4. How much of an improvement on the track would an LSD equipped Civic compare to a Non-LSD equiped Civic?
[post=425659]Quoted post[/post]​

By track do you mean doing laps around a track? LSD is good for launches and cornering.

http://www.superhonda.com/forum/archive/in...p/t-158079.html

I like this passage from this link ^^^:

IntegraTypeRice
04-05-2004, 04:10 AM
Clutch types are always engaged to a degree dependent on the strength of the preloading springs between the clutch disks and the friction between the disks themselves. They will function to their designed capacity regardless of the road conditions and are the most effective LSD design in really slippery weather and in competitive motorsports. Because the clutch type design relies on friction between the clutch disks to work, the clutch disks wear out as they rub against eachother. How long the clutch disks last is dependent on driving style more than anything else. Anywhere from 2-5 years would be typical from what I've heard. Then they have to be rebuilt with new disks. Since clutch LSDs are always engaged, they are known to sometimes be too aggressive in design for normally driven street cars. They can make noise or even drag the inside wheel through a slow tight turn in a parking lot if they're designed too aggressively for street use.

Gear types (also known as "helical" and "torsen" LSDs) are only engaged when one drive wheel spins faster than the other. In a situation where one wheel has no traction at all however, a gear type LSD will not engage at all. Otherwise, if one wheel is spinning faster than the other, the amount of torque a gear type LSD distributes to the wheel with the most traction depends on the design of the gears within the mechanism. Gear types may be slightly less effective than clutch type LSDs in extreme conditions, but because the design works by binding gears together, they should last as long as the transmission they're a part of. Because the gear type is never 100% mechanically locked, this type is considered more suitable for street driven cars and should perform silently and without binding in normal driving situations.

1 way, 1.5 way and 2 way refer to the effectiveness of an LSD in both rotational directions, meaning in forward and reverse. If you think of the torque applied to the wheels by the brakes to be force in the reverse rotational direction it is easier to understand. For example, a driver braking into a turn might lock up the inside wheel with the brakes. A 1.5 way lsd would theoretically send 50% of the torque that was available under accelleration to the wheel that was not locked in the direction counter to its rotation, just like the brake is doing to the wheel that is locked up. A 2 way LSD would send 100% of the available torque. The effect is to stabilize the car under braking by not allowing the drive wheels to spin at different rates regardless of the direction of the forces acting upon them.

The clutch types tend to be a couple hundred dollars cheaper to buy and install in the short term, but since the cost of a rebuild is more than the cost of purchasing the LSD in the first place.

KAAZ, Cusco, spoon are clutch type lsd.

Some more info:

http://hybrid2.honda-perf.org/tech/lsdinfo.html

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/differential8.htm

And Quaiffe is a helical LSD. Somewhere I have bookmarked some site that had a whole bunch of aftermarket LSD's for the D-series. I just can't find it right now.

Back