Died like an alternator, but not the alternator

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Periculum

Hey gang, back for another conundrum. My 87 CRX Si started to show signs of not being able to charge the battery. I figured I had a little bit of time so I bought the Alternator and tried to drive the rex as little as possible. One night it died on the way home from work. I got a jump to charge the battery and drove it home. I replaced the alternator and started it back up. The voltage light was on in full force. More than it was before the car died. I talked to the guys at autozone and they tested my old alternator and it passed. Meaning it wasn't the alt in the first place that killed the car. I tried tightening up some wires, putting new clips on the green plug that goes into the alt and replaced my old ground wire from the engine to the chassis (just in case, it looked ugly anyway). Autozone also swapped the battery for me since it was acting odd when he recharged it. I'm going back to autozone today to get my old alternator back and see if there are any more ideas. Like the title says, the short of it, is that it died just like an alternator would, but it's not the alternator.

Thanks in advance for your help!

well id bust out a volt meter and start testing the stuff your self the people at auto parts stores couldnt tell from there head and a hole in the ground that being said, take the volt meter test the battery while car is off should be around the 12.5 range or so then start the car and test it again should be around 14.5 or so, now if this all checks out id replace battery terms check and double check grounds and such.

Does the charging system light come on when you put the key in RUN?

Pull out your Helms or Haynes or Honda Service Manual and go through the troubleshooting flow-chart.

The light does come on. The flow chart hasn't worked well for me in the past, but I can give it a go.

Unfortunately, my voltmeter disappeared shortly after I bought my new one. I've been looking for it for some time, but have yet to find it. It's probably hiding somewhere real well in the CRX.

Anyone know which wire 'charges' the battery? I'd rather not try to replace all four when I can just change the one.

So I found my voltmeter hidden behind my couch. But I have no manual. Does anyone know how to set it for continuity? I have the following functions; DCV, ACV, DCA, 10A, hFE, resistance, and and arrow pointing at a plus sign. It's the actron 20 dollar voltmeter from autozone if anyone knows what I'm talking about.

Back