diff between d16y5 and d16y8

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

seanjuan

One of my buddies has a 96 HX and was braggin about it being vtec until I told him that it was actually vtec-e (for Economy I believe)

I read that it works by only using one intake port and both exhaust ports when it's off of vtec and then when it switches to vtec it begins using both ports

I also found on this site that it uses a P2N ecu and the EX [y8] uses the P2P ecu

what I'm wondering is if there is a whay to make the y5 into a y8 by getting a different cam and ecu

or would it require a y8 head?

I know that somebody knows the answer to this
so I'll thank you in advance

Sean

all I want to know is if you can put an aftermarket camshaft or even a cam shaft from a d16y8 into the d16y5?

don't tell me I might have to go to Honda-Tech to find this answer.... :eek:

somebody has to know this one.... or know where I can find it....

I would even accept an answer that refers to me as a :whatafucktard:

just to tell me that I'm an asshat or something for even asking this

Have you ever thought that maybe your being a little impatient ??

yeah maybe, but I just thought it would be a pretty simple answer that maybe one of the mods would know and respond to quickly

my appologies.... I'll try to keep my pants on

almost 50 people have looked at this now and no one knows anything?

here's what I learned since yesterday....

normal sohc vtec has a high cam lobe for the intake just like dohc vtec. but vtec-e just has one cam lobe per intake valve and doesnt' have an extra folower mechanism

so thanks everyone for giving me your thoughts on this..... <_<

I'm pretty sure the heads are too different just to put a normal vtec cam in a vtec-e car. too bad for my buddy I guess

does anyone know if people make cams for the vtec-e HX?

D16y5 has the same casting as a y8 but it has a different cam and roller rockers.

Back