Differances between 88 & 89

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

steelbuster

Ok, I've finished my sons 89 Si/B16 swap and I like it so much I want one too. I have the chance to buy an 88 civic and an 88 CRX.. I forgot much of what i've seen about the differance between these and the 89's. Any GOOD info would be a big help. :roll:

EVERYTHING SHOULD BE PRETTY MUCH THE SAME WITH REGARDS TO THE SWAP. ONLY DIFFERENCE MIGHT COME FROM THE MOTOR ORIGINALLY IN THE CARS. WHETHER IT IS DUAL POINT OR MULTI POINT FUEL INJECTION. EITHER WAY THE SWAP ISNT EXTREMELY DIFFICULT.

Originally posted by DSHIZNITZ@Nov 5 2003, 11:43 PM
EVERYTHING SHOULD BE PRETTY MUCH THE SAME WITH REGARDS TO THE SWAP. ONLY DIFFERENCE MIGHT COME FROM THE MOTOR ORIGINALLY IN THE CARS. WHETHER IT IS DUAL POINT OR MULTI POINT FUEL INJECTION. EITHER WAY THE SWAP ISNT EXTREMELY DIFFICULT.

he said any GOOD info :slap:

APPARENTLY YOU DONT HAVE ANY GOOD INFO OR YOU WOULD HAVE GIVEN SOME AND SINCE YOU DON'T I SUGGEST YOU TRY HELPING PEOPLE AND SHARING WHAT LITTLE INFO YOU HAVE IN THAT FEEBLE MIND OF YOURS.

not much difference between 88's and 89's - the 88 is a little lighter - 88 had different rear suspension, what Honda called "passive rear steering" - 88 transmission has 21 spline input shaft, 89-91 has 20 splines - 88 has slightly different front struts - there are differences between the various models in each year also

Well said. If you can, try and find a 90 or 91 Si since they have rear disc brakes. Also, If you get an 89-91 CRX HF, you will have to change out the front hub assembly in order to find axles..... HF Axles are smaller than Si's. The rear suspension in the 88's are different like mentioned above.... The lower control arms and what not are completely different.

as far as the 2 88's go, go for whichever one isn't a DX or STD

they are the DPFI engines, and wiring a "B" into one is a pain in the ass, or expensive..

i have done swaps in every type and trim level of the 4th gen civics... and the SI is the easiest, followed by HF, providing you can score some SI knuckles and hubs

DX and STD are at the bottom of that list

Thanks all for the info.. :D I remember now about the 88 hub differance. Didn't the 90-91 EX sedan use a bigger rotor? That might be a good hub to swap into the 88. Also need to know if the 88 Civic 'Hatch' had the JDM rear suspension like the 88 CRX.
This 88 Civic Hatch I'm looking at has a 1.5 / 4speed which I think makes it a HF ??? ..(Trying to get car info on the phone isn't easy)
I agree that the Si or Hf is MUCH easier to wire.

STD's are at the bottom of my list too...

Also, with regard to the spline/input shaft thing, isn't the clutch/flywheel a different diameter or something along those lines?

Yes, the 88 is about 250 pounds lighter, though I know not why.

The hf's are lighter because they do not have the seatbelts in the doors and they don't have a sunroof. There is probably more also but I don't remember right now.

I have an Hf and swapping the front/back hubs was easy (you need a pickle fork)

Here are the instructions on how to do the back:
http://tjshondas.20m.com/rrdisc.htm

Originally posted by DSHIZNITZ@Nov 5 2003, 10:57 PM
APPARENTLY YOU DONT HAVE ANY GOOD INFO OR YOU WOULD HAVE GIVEN SOME AND SINCE YOU DON'T I SUGGEST YOU TRY HELPING PEOPLE AND SHARING WHAT LITTLE INFO YOU HAVE IN THAT FEEBLE MIND OF YOURS.

Cut the shit. Also don't TYPE in CAPS you tard.

Thanks Blanco..The one I already did was an 89 Si and I think I will look for another. Or else go to the next gen. The Sir cable trans engines are getting pretty old now. The one I got had been sitting in a yard for a long time from the looks of it. It did turn out to be a good motor though and the LSD trans was excellent.

Pappy

Heres a great reference for 2nd gen CRX differences:

(click on The Garage and one of the subtopics that pops up is called "2nd Gen Differences") by the way, that site is dedicated to the crx.

www.quickhonda.net

***bikini warning for the intro page***

Back