Difference Between..?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ovcrash

What is the difference between a Short Shifter Adapter, and a Short Shifter.
Because for exemple on a Civic 97 they call it a Short Shifter, and for a Prelude 97 (Wich is what i have) they call it Short Shifter Adapter. What is the difference between the two? What there is no Short Shifter for a Prelude 97 and only a Short Shifter Adapter?

thanks for all the help. :D

A short shifter is the whole shift rod, from where your shift knob screws in to where it connects to the linkage (solid or cable). A short shift adapter (which I used) is a small piece of machined aluminum that reduces the throw length between gears. It gets installed at the bottom of the shift rod. It didn't benefit me all that much...I was kinda disappointed. As far as I know, they don't make short shifters for Accords/Preludes.

Now that I think about it, it could be because Accords/Preludes use a cable shifter....I know that Integras use a solid shifter. Does anyone know if Civics use a solid shifter as well?

Thanks man.
But DC says that it bring down your throw by about 40%. but hey, does mean it's true.
So your saying that it's not very necessary to get a short shift?

Well, I don't have a DC, but I don't see how they can differ ALL that much. However, no, I'm not very happy with mine. YOU may have better luck, I dunno. I noticed a slightly reduced throw, but it wasn't 40% I can tell you that. 25% maybe?

I also plan to shorten the actual shifter pretty soon, maybe this summer. Cut off 2 inches or so from the top and use a tap & die set to rethread the top part for the shift know. Meh, we'll see what it does.

Ok!
well on my prelude the shift is not that high, it's kinda low. maybe not has low has i would like it to be, but still is low.
I'm looking a Revo Short Shift Adapter, because it's less expensive then the DC one.

Is it hard to install? Can that be done by my self. I'm not a mecanic, not even really close to be, but hey have to start somewhere.

No, it's very easy to install. The hardest part is disassembling your center console, because Honda likes to hide little bolts and screws all over the place. :lol: I always end up with one too many when I'm done. Weight shaving, I guess. :)

But aside from that, the install is easy. I used an OBX adapter. I'll bet if you lined the three up (yours, mine and DC's) they'd all look the same.

Pretty sure they are the same! :D

where can you by OBX product online? any store?

Originally posted by dohcvtec_accord@May 29 2003, 02:02 PM
Does anyone know if Civics use a solid shifter as well?

civics use the same shifter as the integras do. or at least 88-2000 civics do. My skunk2 short shifter box says for 94-01 integras and 92-00 civics. However it will also work with 88-91 civics as well.

Originally posted by MaaseyRacer@May 29 2003, 03:47 PM
civics use the same shifter as the integras do. or at least 88-2000 civics do. My skunk2 short shifter box says for 94-01 integras and 92-00 civics. However it will also work with 88-91 civics as well.

Coolio, that seems to explain why no short shifters are available for Accords/Preludes.

Back