Differences betwen b18a1 and b18b1

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Ryma

What are the differences between the 2? I searched but not finding much info.

Well I was thinking if an b18a intake on a b18b or maybe b18b cams on a b18a would work?

A complete rundown between the b18a1 and the b18b1:
1990-1991 b18a1 130hp obd0 engine cable trans
1992-1993 b18a1 135hp engine went to obd1 and cam profile was slightly changed, cable trans
1994-1995 b18b1 140hp obd1, changed the intake manifold design, located MAP to throttle body, different axle midshaft, hydro trans
1996-2001 b18b1 140hp engine goes obd2, new valve cover design, oil pump changes to accomodate crank sensor. hydro trans

Parts between these engines are 100% interchangable, no mater what it is, if you wanted to you could use a 1990 block 1991 crank 1992 rods, 1993 pistons, 1994 head, 1995 intake mani, 1996 cams, 1997 exhaust mani, 1998 throttle body, 1999 flywheel, 2000 clutch and an 01 valve cover.
The only differences between the engines are the sensors and accessories between odb0, 1 and 2 all of the hard stuff is totally interchangable.
Also it is the same crankshaft that is used in the b20 engine.

LOL thanks for the info.

I was just cureious....IYO hows the B20 series of motors stand up agenst boost?

Iam trying to find options for not going with a b18. friend of mine has one and I dont want to have the same setup as he does. the only difference is that hes got a (2g)crx me (still searching for I have pritty high standards for this year series of cars.) civic si(88-91).

Last edited:
Well I looked in varyious forums for the b20 and dident find much. Mostly swap questions. I dont want vtec thats for certin.

My goal is 10-12 psi of boost for about 240-255hp. Racing is kinda an all around racing kinda thing, not really set on one type of racing. I want to hit a time attack someday.

b20 isnt ideal for boost..its more for all motor

:( Well Whats the weight difference between an f22a/b(dohc non VTec) series motor and a b18b motor?

I dont want a sohc motor. I just dont like them.

I need an all around turbo setup but when I do need some top end. 140mph at the most.

I want to try targa and top end and reliablity with an all around even ness thru out the rest of the gears.

I know the moto and I know its not gonna be cheap but this isent gonna be a 6 month type project. this will be over a perioud of 3 years prolly build.

I dont want a sohc motor. I just dont like them.

I need an all around turbo setup but when I do need some top end. 140mph at the most.

I want to try targa and top end and reliablity with an all around even ness thru out the rest of the gears.

I know the moto and I know its not gonna be cheap but this isent gonna be a 6 month type project. this will be over a perioud of 3 years prolly build.
Oh god. You shouldnt have said "I just dont like them." Guarenteed Blanco is on your ass next time he sigsn on. I learned my lesson. Good luck.

its different when someone is asking and you say get this one because i just dont like the other one ..

I have looked in a topic that the search gave me but I dident find anything in there that leads me to want to go with a sohc motor. If I wanted to stay with a sohc motor I would of kept my turbo gt mustang.

ITs an oppinion and I dont like them regardless of what you say.

Now back to non sohc vtec motor discussions.

Whers the weight difference between an f22a/b(dohc non VTec) series motor and a b18b motor?

About the car Iam looking for a 88-91 civic si. Iam have high standards for a car of this age and am being anal about the body of the car.

I have looked in a topic that the search gave me but I dident find anything in there that leads me to want to go with a sohc motor. If I wanted to stay with a sohc motor I would of kept my turbo gt mustang.

ITs an oppinion and I dont like them regardless of what you say.

Now back to non sohc vtec motor discussions.

Whers the weight difference between an f22a/b(dohc non VTec) series motor and a b18b motor?

About the car Iam looking for a 88-91 civic si. Iam have high standards for a car of this age and am being anal about the body of the car.

1.) Ef's are sick.

2.) I am certainly not trying to change your mind about a sohc motor. I personally don't like them either.

3.) Is this your first swap cause an F or H series swap in an ef chassis is not very easy.

4.) about the weight differences. LOOK IT UP!!!!!

Just so you know from the referance materials.

F22A1 2156 135@5200 142@4500 8.8:1 85 95 dohc no 1 or 2 1992-1996 Prelude S
F22B 2156 160@6000 148@5000 9.2:1 85 95 dohc no 1 or 2 1992-1996 Prelude Si

I looked for weight differences and I dident see anything on it.

Back