Differences in preludes

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

VTECPOWER

what is the difference between the prelude base and the prelude Type SH?

The SH has an ATTS-equipped transmission, has a slighty altered suspension geometry, and has some upgraded wheels. That's about all I can think of.

Originally posted by civicious@Nov 30 2004, 01:16 PM
Technologically advanced LSD, more or less.
[post=424203]Quoted post[/post]​

I think that's giving it too much credit. It really doesn't work as well as a true LSD does.

It's an electronic version of an LSD. Stands for Active Torque Transfer System. If some sensors detect one of the front wheels slipping, they tell the transmission to divert power away from it.

Originally posted by dohcvtec_accord+Nov 30 2004, 03:33 PM-->
civicious
@Nov 30 2004, 01:16 PM
Technologically advanced LSD, more or less.
[post=424203]Quoted post[/post]​

I think that's giving it too much credit. It really doesn't work as well as a true LSD does.

It's an electronic version of an LSD. Stands for Active Torque Transfer System. If some sensors detect one of the front wheels slipping, they tell the transmission to divert power away from it.
[post=424217]Quoted post[/post]​

And it doesn't do that very well either. Stay away from the SH tranny for swaps. The SH also comes with a factory 4-1 header.

Originally posted by sohcslammer@Nov 30 2004, 01:37 PM
The SH also comes with a factory 4-1 header.
[post=424218]Quoted post[/post]​

Really? That's the first time I've ever heard that. They rate the engines as having the same hp/tq numbers....

The prelude sh has only 3 major differences. The atts (active torque transfer system), the 5 spoke alloy wheels, and a more tightly wound suspension setup. I would definatly recomment this car for an autocross or touge enthusiast. The atts in no way acts like an lsd. The atts directs power between the front wheels according to the sharpness of the turn and speed of the turn in. The atts can direct as much as 80% percent of the car's power to either the left front or right front wheel. This along with the more responsive suspension make this a very awsome handling car. Car and Driver magazine made the prelude sh the best handling sport car under 30 grand when it came out in 97. Plus the wheels look damn good. Prelude sh is great for road course and autocross. The base model is good for drag.

oh yea both the sh and base models have the same header. They both are a 2 piece 4-2-1 design with little room for improvement. The top piece is a tubular design with the bottom being a 2-1 cast design. The only aftermart headers proven to add power over the factory header is a really expensive top dollar header (mugen, Jun, ect). However the header lenght is different on both models. The sh model header is longer to aviod hitting the atts. Also there are a few other components in the engine bay that rearranged so the car could accompany the atts (the fuel filter location, oil filter location, ect)

Originally posted by t3t4si@Nov 30 2004, 05:03 PM
The base model is good for drag.
[post=424248]Quoted post[/post]​

WRONG. Preludes suck at drag racing. Preludes are heavy as fuck and I have never seen a stock prelude break a 16. The atts is SUPPOSED to be an LSD equivelent but it doesn't really work out that way. And as for road racing, again, the prelude is just too heavy. The base model does come with something resembling a 4-2-1 header but I was told that the SH comes with a 4-1. I haven't actually seen one in person though...

First off, I think he was saying that a base is BETTER for drag racing than a Type SH, because the ATTS can actually hinder drag racing rather than helping it, and the SH is 100 lbs heavier than the base.

That said, a Prelude is actually quicker than most other Hondas (Civics and Integras, etc) down the drag strip, stock for stock. True, a Civic is much lighter, and will most times beat a Prelude on a road/autox course. But it's not the bear you make it out to be. In my H22 Accord, I made it down the drag strip up here at 6000 feet in 16.4 seconds, with just basic I/H/E and some minor weight reductions, along with shit-ass tires. That's about a 15.3 or 15.4 at sea level. My car weighed about the same as a base Prelude (AFTER the weight reductions), and about 100 lbs more than an SH.

So don't knock the Prelude too badly. Being Honda's showcase for their newest technology, it's always had some cool stuff packed under the hood and into the chassis. Also, regarding the ATTS....read what t3t4si and I said. It's never been marketed as an LSD equivalent. It's a traction control mechanism for aggressive turning and cornering, but a bad one at that.

My girlfriend and I own a 2001 base model. It's heavy. And slow off the line. :p

My buddy with the H22 in his accord with Intake and exhaust went 15.3 at sea level totally gutted. The prelude in the next lane went 17.4 with his girlfriend and stereo in the car.

I wasn't trying to stir up shit, I just was bashing the ATTS. As far as I have ever heard, including the dealership that sold us the car, people have told me that the ATTS in the SHs is supposed to work like a LSD. I have never ripped one apart, but I have driven a few SHs and it's NOTHING like a LSD. I have owned my fair share of hondas and I'm sorry, but speaking from personal experience, the prelude is a freeway cruiser. It hauls ass on the top end and 80-120 mph goes by in a flash, but drag racing? And road racing? You guys must be fucking nuts.... Actually, I know dohcvtecaccord is.... :D

I'm not bashing the prelude, (fuck I OWN one) but as far as being competetive in any racing event without MUCH more work than your average civic, well.....

most of the sh preludes also have the rear wing, which i dont like...I think they look better without it. and just for reference with dohc accord, my buddy in his gsr with a header and exhaust ran at best 16.9 at 6000 ft. above sea level.

Originally posted by civicious@Nov 30 2004, 07:43 PM
My base model prelude went 15.80 consistently bone stock...
[post=424289]Quoted post[/post]​

Not calling you a liar or anything, but I have seen at least 10 97-01 ludes run the 1/4 and not one has even busted 16.2....

In fact, one time at Fontana, I was standing around in tech and watching this kid with a 97-01 lude get inspected. It had intake, header and exhaust. The tech askes the kid what he thinks he'll run. "Oh, low 13s at least" he replies. At this, I walk over and peek under the hood. No nitrous, turbo, or any forced induction of any kind. I think to myself, well he must have type s pistons and cams then. The tech looks at him funny and informs him that if he runs below a 14 then he will need a helmet. "Don't worry, I'll sandbag it the first run and then borrow my buddy's helmet if I need to" the guy responds. The tech just rolls his eyes. So when the guy finally pulls up to the line next to a mustang, I get all excited to see a prelude bank on a 5.0 The lights go down and the mustang is out. The prelude is still wheel hoping through the 60 foot. I think he ran a best of 16.3 all day long with at least 4 passes. I laughed my ass off right in front of him in the pits when he got back. "stock right?" I ask. "No, it's got intake header and exhaust. I should be puttin down like 250 hp, I just couldn't hook up"

God I love ricers.

:cliffs:

Ricer finds out that I/H/E doesn't make you fast or furious

If you aren't calling me a liar, then what are you saying?

I ran 15.8's consistently every time I went to the track. Bone stock, no intake or even a fart can.

If you can't break 15's in a base model prelude, then you're a shitty driver.

OK first off the atts is NOT like an lsd and in no way resembles one. The atts distributes the power between wheels to help it turn better. example 60% power on the left front and 40% power on the right front. The atts can transfer up to 80% to one wheel. An lsd evenlly distributes power at all time 50% and 50%. I have been working and driving my girlfriends sh for a while now. I have several autocross trophies and hit 15.2 in the quater mile with only an autozone air filter in place of the airbox and apexi exhaust. I agree if you cant break 15's with a 97-01 prelude than your driving needs to be reajusted. However the transmisson has alot to do with the times also. I have yet to see the auto shifttronic preludes get under a 16.5 And as for the header its a 4-2-1 factory design. Its a 2 piece header. The bottom piece is a 2-1 if you take it apart you will notice 2 individual holes that the exhaust goes down.

LSD= always evenlly distributes power 50-50

ATTS= to distribute more power to one wheel to assist in turning.

They are actually the opposite of each other

Back