Different crank in a D15A2 (EW1) for an automatic trans?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Glegor

ok, so i went to do a clutch on my 85 hb and i pull the trans out and the slipping clutch is not paper thin like i expected, only oil soaked. and the oil was 90w from the trans. and the entire inside of the bellhousing was just coated also. so i started investigating and there was no pilot bearing in the crank and it also wiped out the input shaft oil seal (and possibly my transmission) because of it. then i pulled off the flywheel thinking the bearing went behind it, but there is nowhere to put a pilot bearing in this flywheel/crank. the only thing i could think of was that it was an engine mated to an auto. the crank is drilled for an alignment dowel, but the flywheel has no provision for a dowel. so i figured i would ask someone that knows about these engines. thanks for taking time to read this, any help is greatly appreciated.

3g Civic did not use a pilot bearing - the input shaft is supported by the flywheel - also, there were no dowel pins on either manual or automatic and the crankshafts are the same

so there is no pilot bushing/bearing in those things? because the flywheel hole is alot bigger than the input shaft on the trans. just thought it was weird, no car ive ever worked on besides this one is like this. but is there supposed to be a bushing or something in the wheel? because right now you can put the input shaft completely through the flywheel (splines and all) and i just didnt think that was right.

86-89 Integra also did not use a pilot bearing - attached picture is 89 Integra flywheel - here is what that guy did to support the end of the input shaft when trying to use 2nd gen CRX flywheel:

D16A1 engine swap, part 3

in the end, it didn't work as his pressure plate hit the clutch housing and he switched back to the Integra flywheel:

D16A1 engine swap, part 4

Attachments

• 89tegflywheel.jpg
    89tegflywheel.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 303
Back