Different Type R cams in B16A

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

CAFROG

Honda Minion
VIP
I have seen pictures of how to tell the difference but was wondering about ITR cams

I know about 97 spec and 98 spec

Is the '01 ITR cams different or '98 spec? Found some that I might look into buying then sitting on
them until I get at least some springs. Some say you need the lost motion assembly for
the type r too b/c the B16's are not good enough (maybe not firm enough?). Some say
you only need the cams and springs....others have stated that you only need the intake
springs and take your B16A intake springs and move them to the exhaust.

Please feel free to state what yo've heard...or, preferably, felt and been witness to.

Serious? Everyone is Stumped so far?

I wanna know opinions on what is the minimum needed to make the type r cam conversion good to go...at 9k rpm's

I hear way too many differing opinions

If you want to upgrade to type r cams you should most likely replace the valvetrain with what can handle those types of RPMs as well. Then there's the tuning so your engine itself can handle the RPMs. There's no point to getting an engine to spin up there unless you're making the power up there.

01's are slightly larger than 98 spec.

you will need upgraded (beyond itr) springs/retainers to turn 9000 rpms. itr's are only good for 8500.

frankly, you won't make power in that last 500 rpm anyway, as the itr cam doesn't.

If you want to upgrade to type r cams you should most likely replace the valvetrain with what can handle those types of RPMs as well. Then there's the tuning so your engine itself can handle the RPMs. There's no point to getting an engine to spin up there unless you're making the power up there.
Thanks for you opinion. Hoping to hear from others to agree or disagree that you need all that stuff....and I'm still wondering if my lost motion assembly (B16A) is fine. I never heard of guys doing that with aftermarket springs/cams/retainers/etc.

I had 01 spec ITR/CTR cams in my b16 with the stock valve train. it's ok as long as you stick with the stock redline. My loss motion assemblies were perfectly fine. IMO, if you want to take advantage of the entire power band of these cams, get the ITR/CTR springs, retainers, and get tuned along with the rev limit set higher to where the cams make peak power.

Yeah....sounds like 8.5K is the spot. I just found out that a GSR intake springs are the same part # as the Exhaust springs for ITR. Don't know if this applies to B16A's but it just might. The retainers can be purchased new OEM online. So. if I can get away with it, that means I only need type r intake springs, both cams, new retainers, adj sprockets and I have a local guy who makes ECU's with base maps for a mod'ed B16 like that (rough;y set fuel/air ratio)....then off to dyno tweak it...yea thats not much...right ($$$). I think the stock injectors should be ok and my Si fuel pump should be ok too....hopefully.

Back