diffrence between type-r head and gsr

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

type r pistons have nice lubrication? i have done all i can here......

Quoted post[/post]]
well what do u mean goals??? i want to go ls vtec with the ctr cams and some really nice valves haven't decided which ones r pretty good. and then i'm not sure if i have to change the springs or not if i do i might as well go with the ctr springs or type-r which ever is better and of course port and poloish the head and i'm looking for at least 200 hp with an intake and full comptech exhaust system. and yes some type-r piston cuz they has some nice lubrecation. the stock ls block

goals means, how much power do you want? have you ever driven a car with that much power? what are you doing with the car? 1/4 mile, autox, road course? what are your intentions and desires. you wont reach the 200 hp with those cams and type r pistons. they are a good choice. you might be looking more towards 170 whp. but that is still very quick for a budget motor.

well i want to make it a daily driver. and is it possible to make 200 hp without the help of forced induction.

thats just a service thats not a head

type in b16 head or gsr head on ebay.. should be around 550-650

im running an ls vtec with a stock ls block, gsr head etc my build is below in my sig. i have around 3k in my build and its not even that much of a build. im probably around 160ish at the wheels.

not in kansas either, ohhhh ya cut off exhaust. love it when your fillings rattle out

you can pass smog in Cali with LS vtec, BUT

You can 100% NOT pass BAR examination with LS vtec, and they WILL catch it.

They know LS Vtec and B20 Vtecs now, and you'll get declined and either have to pay the BAR fail fine (like 400 bucks each ticket you get) or sell your engine.

If you don't know-

Smog has nothing to do with BAR. Bar inspection is when a cop pulls you over and he doesn't know if it's legal to have what's under your hood (For example aftermarket blow off valves in a turbo kit, high compression engines, non smog legal flow parts, JDM intake manifolds, etc)

The REF's in California are VERY smart, they can tell if you have a Greddy sticker in your engine bay but it's not a Greddy bolt on turbo kit. My friend had an LS Vtec, REALLY clean, with Greddy sticker and smog legal bolt ons, and the REF took two looks at the engine and said "You can't use LS Vtec" and he ended up selling his swap.

KNOW THE RISKS before you go LS Vtec in Cali. Some people say its not worth it. How not worth it is it? I found a DA with LS Vtec and type R cams for 2500 with no engine problems and compression/leakage checked out okay. The guy was selling the car because he couldn't pass BAR examination.

LS VTEC is a beautiful thing. a lot of torque and potential to run a very good internal build, but it's just NOT a good idea for a daily driven in Cali. Either go full drag and tow your car to events, or drive it illegally and hope you don't get caught. (Which is bull, because everyone gets caught)

If you want to pass smog legally in CA, you have to be really stealth in the way you do mods. The only thing that the smog tech had to worry about on my build was the AEM cai, and whether or not it had its CARB sticker on it. You might get it smogged by some dumb smog tech who have never worked on anything but v8s his whole life, but your best bet is to get it smogged as an ls motor, with a cheap LS head on it. Then just swap the vtec head on it after you pass. You can smog a b16a legally if you have done all the necessary modifications. Do some research, it's been covered on here many times. Good luck.
For the record, I've been stopped many times, and never once have I been asked to pop my hood. Maybe it's because my car looks stock, the way I like it.

so the only reason i can't bas the B.A.R test is because it's a b16a wich is jdm????

There are a LOT of reasons you might not be able to pass the BAR. Keep this in mind - I've heard of people passing JDM motors, but in order to pass the BAR in CA, you need to have all the emissions equipment, including correct ecu (p30) from a 95 honda del sol vtec, since that was the first year the b16 was introduced to america. I'm not saying you'd pass with ease, but I have heard of jdm motors passing. All your smog equipment needs to be hooked up and functioning correctly, a p30 is the proper ecu for the swap, and will be the only one allowed for the b16 in your car. Personally, I'd just find a b18/pr4 from a DA, pass the BAR with that, then swap a b16 head on it.

Edit: Just reread your post.... You will NEVER pass BAR with a vtec head on a nonvtec block. Completely illegal. And to step down to a b16a2, from a 99+ civic si, which will be your ONLY legal option aside from the gsr or type r from 99+ integra, would be dumb. Get a gsr, or build the LS you have for turbo, and just pull the turbo stuff when it comes time to smog.

Quoted post[/post]]
so the only reason i can't bas the B.A.R test is because it's a b16a wich is jdm????

No you're not listening.

You can NOT legally pass the bar if you put a B16A head on a B18B block.

You also can't pass the bar if you swap a B16A head on a B18C1 block (Poor man's type R), but that's only noticable with a good ref.

Any REF however, in Cali, will know an LS VTEC and give you a fail slip as soon as they spot it. They won't even bother checking your other mods at that point because your engine itself is illegal.

The same is the case with B20VTEC.

And you can't get away with telling them "Oh it's just a GSR". They're smart. In fact, a lot of times unless the owner of the car modded his B series HIMSELF, the REF himself will know more about Honda's than the driver lol.

EDIT: You can pass the BAR with a JDM B16A/B18C1 but you need the following parts:
USDM Spec/Legal Intake Manifold. USDM Spec/Legal/OBD compliant ECU. USDM Catalytic Convertor. SAME YEAR engine, SAME OBD as car.

Make sure you know that, most often than not, B18CR(JPSpecDCtypeR) and B16B(CivicTypeRJspec) will NOT pass smog and at the REF they most often do a smog check.

yep.. no hybrid motors allowed.. i got my JDM b16 BAR'd and smogged.. it was a bitch, but i did it.. had to convert to a delsol vtec pretty much.. the ecu was the most expensive part

:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:
It's like putting the beast to sleep and waking it back up. If anyone knows that this doesn't work no matter what it takes because of experience, please, i'd very appreciate an opinion on this trick to pass an LS Vtec.. Thank you.
read the date!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back