Digital Camera Hunting, thoughts and suggestions

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

CRX-YEM

Super Moderator
VIP
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ7 vs Canon PowerShot S3 IS

I'm looking for a new digital camera that can be both a Point & Shoot w/ auto focus controls , and able to be used in a manual mode more like a dSLR, I'd like to get a little more involved with photography as a hobby. They are both close in $, and are both 6MP, and I've read some great reviews about both cameras.

I don't really need a camera that can take a larger picture then 6MP, I like that they use SD/MMC media, size not so important, I really would like something that has a descent processing speed, it's tough to get a picture of a 2yrs expressions when you can't hold their interest long enough for the camera to be ready to snap a pic again.

I'm open to suggestion as well (and it has to be carried by BestBuy as I have over $200 in gift cards for x-mas), and let's not make this a pissing contest please.

Last edited:
the canon is the shit as far as non SLR cameras go... ive been looking for the same thing and that is the one i will be picking up soon
make sure you get a good memory card for it (fastest write time you can find) that is what will allow you to use the cameras full speed potential (the S3 IS will shoot 3 stills per second)

canon sd600 is a sick camera. it's about $230. 6mp. but if you are interested in photography, i dunno. i use it as my regular use. phenomenal pictures, it's small and lightweight. good shutter speed to. lots of options.

I got the woman the sd600, its a good camera, no complaints. ONe thing to do is check circuit citys website to see if its on sale there and then have best buy match the price.

actually the s2is is the one ive been pheening over for years, i havent really read too much about the s3is though, not sure what all was changed.

Back