digital camera shopping

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

micah

pretty much narrowed it donw to either

canon powershot S2 IS
or
panasonic fz5/fz20

anyone have any experience or thoughts on either of the 2?

i never really looked into the panasonics much until i read a review about the fz5 saying it was the best of the lower end ultra zoom cameras, then i read the fz20 is damn near the perfect one. noisy pictures is its 1 and only drawback. im a huge fan of panasonic hu's for car audio and i think they are the most underrated hu you can buy so i started look into them more.

techincal spec wise they are very close to the same camera,a s far as still shots are concenred.
the canon is supposed to have the most advanced audio/video mode on the market, which im not too concerned about. if i wanted that id buy a vid cam.
the panasonic is 50 bucks or so cheaper, but price isnt an issue.
the canon comes with 4 normal alkalines, can be replaced with nimh rechargeables. the panasonic comes with lithium ion, backups cost 50 bucks a piece. i like the convenience of regular alkalines and the canon is top dog on the market as far as battery life.

canon was my first choice and im leaning that way atm. justw ondering if anyone had any experience with said cameras.

The Canon's got much better noise suppression and is much more neutral. The pan's very sharp: sharp enough to create artifacts and lose detail. Its just as bad as being blurred.

I find Canon's pretty spot on with their images, not too anything-just right. They are my preference until we start talking about spending real $'s on Nikons.

As far as sony goes, the H1 goes toe-to-toe with the S2. Very similar quality units. And I find their lower models to be quite capable as well.

The Sony H1 is a true contender with the Canon. Both have excellent color, definition, and noise - or lack thereof. And while I'm partial to canon, you'll probably find the sony on sale somewhere.

Back