Dilemna - What Should I Do?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

BrutalB83

Brutal Moderator
VIP
So there's this black Pontiac that belongs to someone here at my apartment complex. Lately it's been parked in the carport slot next to mine, but I don't think that's their assigned spot. I think they're just using it because no one lives in that apartment.

Anyway, that's not the point. At one point I saw a cute little puppy sitting in the car. Pets are allowed here, so I didn't think much of it. However, I've now seen that same puppy in that same car 4-5 times now at various times of day throughout the last week. I've also noticed that there's a dirty blanket on the seat and a food/water dish in there. The windows on the car are tinted pretty darkly, so you'd have to walk right next to it to notice the dog in there. They do keep the windows cracked a bit, but not enough for it to get out. It gets excited and wags it's tail every time I walk past. Tonight I figured I'd try and pet it and it jerked back like it was scared of being touched.

I don't know what to do. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not a tattle-tale type. As long as people here are leaving my cars alone and not keeping me up all night then I don't really care if the other residents here are following the apartment rules to a tee. I just don't like the thought that this dog is being abused and made to live in a hot car all day long.

So what should I do? Should I leave a note on the car asking them to please find the dog an appropriate home if they're not willing to have it in their apartment? Should I go talk to management about it? Should I just mind my own damn business?

:huh:

well if the dog dies would you feel bad for not doing something ? if you just got to do something i would leave a note for the manager, and go from there

do you know if that person who owns the car lives in the appt complex? if u found that out id leave a note and try and meet up with them and talk about the dog. if they dont try and get in contact with you id assume theyre being shady and are hidding something. then id watch out for the dog a little more than you have been and see if the owner has done anything at all or if infact the dog is sitting in the car all day and night and not being taken care for properly. then i would definately contact managment.

but yeah if i were you id just keep taking random peeks at night or in the morning or whenever u can and see if the dog is spending the majority of its life in there, if so get that dog out of there ASAP

There is very little that can be done. I know from experience.

At school the house next to our fraternity house was a rental. A revolving door of straight scum really. It generally worked for us because they never called the cops when we partied all day and all night.

During my senior year a dysfunctional family moved in. Within the first week we had issues. Them not staying on their property. Them getting pissed when we confronted them about "removing" things out of our yard. I did a boxer lap(lose by 6 in pong=boxer lap) one night around 12:30am. As I'm reaching the back door the "head of the household" confronts me about it.
Him-"Hey my daughter is 5. She doesn't need to be seeing that shit."
Me-"What the fuck is she doing up at 12:30 if she is 5?"(she was in fact up and outside)
Him-"What the fuck did you just say?"
Me-"I said put your daughter to bed around 8 like a good parent would."
Him-"WHO THE FUCK ARE YOU?"
Me-"The guy who is going to whoop your ass, then call the cops and dyfis(sp?) if you step on our property.."

So obviously there was already bad blood. Toward the middle of the year they get 2 pit bull puppies. Cute, playful, little things. We notice them outside, chained up, most of the time. Then we notice them out there all the time. Sun, rain, whatever, they're outside. Things grow with ribs showing. We call the proper authorities. They come. Dogs are inside for a week before a return to normal.

This happens 3 more times. 1 is no longer around. We believe it died. At this point the other dog is standoffish. Backing up to the slightest advance to touch. So we said fuck it and start feeding and playing with it to attempt to keep this dog somewhat normal. A few of us love pit bulls and hate the negative rep they have. This is just one more case of dog abuse, not "pit bull aggression".

The next time we call people out we approach them as they leave and explain the situation. The lady completely agreed with us about how wrong it is, but explained there is very little they can do. Fucking shit sucks. We contemplated actually stealing the dog. But soon enough it is no longer outside anymore. And it wasn't in the house either.

People have more rights to own a pet then the pets have to survive. It's bullshit.

Last edited:
being a dog lover....i would break the window of the car and take teh dog out and beat the owner to the ground.....i dont put up with animal abuse....

do the right thing and get that dog out of the car before it dies

being a dog lover....i would break the window of the car and take teh dog out and beat the owner to the ground.....i dont put up with animal abuse....

+1

I would call animal control or the cops. It isnt the dogs choice to be sitting in the car all damn day. Cracking a window does not disapate heat worth a damn as I am sure we all know. Who knows, maybe others have filed a complaint and it will carry more weight and actually get something done. Some cities have animal control cops that actually have police power so I would look into it.

do you know if that person who owns the car lives in the appt complex? if u found that out id leave a note and try and meet up with them and talk about the dog. if they dont try and get in contact with you id assume theyre being shady and are hidding something. then id watch out for the dog a little more than you have been and see if the owner has done anything at all or if infact the dog is sitting in the car all day and night and not being taken care for properly. then i would definately contact managment.

but yeah if i were you id just keep taking random peeks at night or in the morning or whenever u can and see if the dog is spending the majority of its life in there, if so get that dog out of there ASAP

Well, that's what I feel like doing every time I walk past the car and see that dog in there (leave a note on the car or try to get the dog out), but common sense is telling me that I should probably just go to manager's office and just have them deal with it. I don't really know anything about these people. They might be cool with talking about it, but then again, they might key my car.

I haven't seen the car or the dog for a couple days now though, so maybe they were just visiting...

personally, i'd report it to the correct authorities, then the apartment manager .... thats animal abuse and i absolutely love dogs...

I know that down here the cops actually care about animals, and working for PetSmart I've seen some pretty bad abuse happen right in front of me. We are told by "company policy" to ask the owner to leave the store immediately and not return until they know how to treat the animal properly, but, several times i've called the police or animal while they were still in the store. They usually watch the situation and see whats going on and at the first sign of abuse, they approach the owners, tell them they are in the wrong, and call animal control to come get the animal, and cite the owner for animal cruelty.

Its definitely worth a shot to call the police or animal control and see what they can do about it as well as telling the apartment manager what is going on. Just my two pennies

personally, i'd report it to the correct authorities, then the apartment manager .... thats animal abuse and i absolutely love dogs...

Yeah, if I see it again, that's what I'm going to do. The car did have an out-of-state plate on it though, so maybe they were just visiting. But yeah, if I see it again it's getting reported...

I would call the Apt manager first, and tell him that if he doesn't call the cops/animal control, that you will. Give him a couple hours, if not, handel it yourself.

Well it's been about 4 days now and I haven't seen the car anymore, so I guess that's that...

Well keep an eye out. If it were me, I'd of called the 3rd time I saw it to embarass the person. I'd not make a seen, but I'd make it clear that I wouldn't stand by and watch in a non asshole way. But that's me, if
I notice it multiple times, it's gonna cause me some emotional unrest and I do not want to deal with that.

Back