Dim lights in gauge cluster

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

peanut

I have a weird problem. Wonder if anyone of you have the same problem and manage to solve it.

When I turn my ignition to position III which is when the fuel pump relay activates and the oil and battery lights come on, the chk eng light appears and disappears. Then after which I turned it back to II, very dim lights are left on my gauge cluster, such as the oil, battery and brake indicators. Even after I remove the key from the ignition, the lights are still there. To turn them off, I either need to start and turn the engine off OR I can pull out and put back my ecu fuse.

Anyone know what is causing the problem above?

Correction, only the check oil and parking brake lights are left dimly on.

It can also be switched off by disconnecting ecu plug C (obd0) where you can hear a click sound and at the same time the dim lights going out.

Plug A works as well. (It can also be unplugged to reset the ecu)

The situation changes when the engine is warmed up to operating temperatures. I kept on switching the ignition between to II & III without running the engine, there are no longer any lights left on the cluster. It returns once the engine has cooled down.

I have no CEL lights.

Any ideas or past experiences?

i got that when one of my tailights was out, double check your lights. I fixed it alright. But now my freakin cluster lights are out.

Originally posted by peanut@Feb 11 2004, 03:17 PM

It can also be switched off by disconnecting ecu plug C (obd0) where you can hear a click sound and at the same time the dim lights going out.

The situation changes when the engine is warmed up to operating temperatures. I kept on switching the ignition between to II & III without running the engine, there are no longer any lights left on the cluster. It returns once the engine has cooled down.

I have no CEL lights.

If I do the same thing with my parking brake down, I will only have the check oil light left dimly on.

I have also checked the grounds, wiring diagrams. Now I suspect it could either be the ecu or the aftermarket ignition control & coil.

Or could it be the TW sensor? This water gauge temp activates when the ignition is turned to II. This could be the one, its wiring originates from OBD0 plug C.

Originally posted by peanut+Mar 11 2004, 07:32 PM-->
@Feb 11 2004, 03:17 PM

I have no CEL lights.

If I do the same thing with my parking brake down, I will only have the check oil light left dimly on.

I have also checked the grounds, wiring diagrams. Now I suspect it could either be the ecu or the aftermarket ignition control & coil.

Or could it be the TW sensor? This water gauge temp activates when the ignition is turned to II. This could be the one, its wiring originates from OBD0 plug C.

I've tested the TW sensor by unplugging it. When I did so the dim lights are gone. With the TW sensor unplugged, I switched the the ignition to II and switched it off, there wasn't any dim lights on the gauge cluster. Anyone know why this is so? I recently changed my camshaft and spilled some oil on the TW sensor, can this be a problem?

Originally posted by peanut+Mar 14 2004, 01:43 AM-->
Originally posted by peanut@Mar 11 2004, 07:32 PM
peanut
@Feb 11 2004, 03:17 PM

I have no CEL lights.

I've tested the TW sensor by unplugging it. When I did so the dim lights are gone. With the TW sensor unplugged, I switched the the ignition to II and switched it off, there wasn't any dim lights on the gauge cluster. Anyone know why this is so? I recently changed my camshaft and spilled some oil on the TW sensor, can this be a problem?

Today, I got two replacement Mitsuba RZ-0132 main relays, there were a couple of dry joints here and there on one of the main relays. WTH! I desoldered the %$#ing dry joints, as well as the seemingly okay joints and re-soldered them, making sure the new solder sits in properly.

Then I took the two for a test. I removed my current main relay which has given me the #@$@ing problem for 4 months, which left the dim lights in my cluster after turning the key to II and to I or OFF, draining my battery. Placed the first main relay with the original soldered joints which is okay on very close visual inspection. Turned the key to II and back. WTF!! same problem. Took out the first relay and put in this re-soldered relay. Turned the key to II and to OFF. NO MORE DIM LIGHTS!! Am I dreaming!!? I thought. I did this whole motion a couple of dozen times. It finally worked. The relay clicks with the chk engine light going off and also when I turn the key from II to I or off.

Now we know who to blame for the lousy starts and the bad soldering work on Honda vehicles main relay.

Now I have a problem with the low fuel warning light. Anyone has any ideas which wire on which plug is it connected in on the OBD1 Civic gauge cluster assembly? Anyway to test whether is it working without draining or puncturing a hole in the tank.

Thanx.

Back