Dimming Headlights

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

xkwzt21

Okay, I just did a B series swap in my '96 civic and whenever I use my headlights they seem to dim in and out, mainly when im giving it some gas. When ever i let off of the gas pedal the headlights seem to come back to full strength. The alternator is working strong cranking out 14 amps. There doesnt seem to be any issues with the battery either. Anyone know what might be wrong?

Yep, I have the EXACT same problem. Not trying to jack, but here's what I've done to try to fix it.
Regrounded the motor.
Removed any old wireing.
Replaced battery.
Changed light bulbs.
Rounded the battery better.
Thought about the problem some.
Drove it some.
And posted here.
Any help would be great.
Only dims when gas is pushed. Gets bright when let off.
??????????????????

I have the same problem as well in my '98 civic w/a swap. I haven't really tried much to fix it but some advice would be great

okay, this is what someone posted as a response to this topic on honda-tech, im not familiar with it so i dont know exactly what he is talking about. anyone understand this:

"this is what i did...
cut the ALT-C wire at the ecu

problem solved."

You know what...I just took it a step further and cut all the wires at the "ecu". The lights don't dim now but the car doesn't start. which wire should I splice back together to get the car to start?

bump

bustin' out the manual and looking for an alt-c wire of some type

ALT-C = White/Green wire coming out of ECU
It says its the Starting/Charging System. Sounds like thats not the wire to cut, but you give it a shot and if it works for you, I'll try!
:D

I just joined HT and jacked your thread again. Before you cut your alt-c wire, let me know what ecu/car you have.

Now that I think about it, it may have something to do with the AC being gone. Might have something to do with power redirection while giving gas or something. Hmm...dude, I don't have my car or I'd go cut that wire now. Go cut yours and let me know...well that is if yours isn't the tranny control unit thinggy.

Here's a link to this topic on HT. We may have a good lead!
Dimming lights

I have a 2001 p73 ecu, in my '96 Civic. Does anyone know if there are any drawbacks to cutting the ALT-C wire?

That's what I'm running. Cut it. Just leave yourself enough room to where you can crimp it back together if needed. It shouldn't hurt anything from what I hear. I asked a friend of mine to look into it and he didn't understand why it would make them dim, but he said it won't hurt it to cut it and try. He also said if they stay bright, go ahead and leave it.

Originally posted by xkwzt21@Sep 10 2004, 01:27 PM
i talked to a mechanic friend of mine and he said that it may make your alternator burn out quicker
[post=388623]Quoted post[/post]​

Yeah, thats what my friend said too. It will leave the alt running all the time and not give it a break while running. Thats fine with me. I drive that car like twice a month so thats not a big issue for me. Did your friend have any other suggestions? I'm going to go get my car in a little bit and I'll cut that wire when I get home.

he hasnt said anything else yet, he is going to look into it though. he did say to just pull the wire out and not cut it, that way if u change your mind you can just put it back in. let me know what happens.

<webink> you cut it
<xkwzt> ok, you cut it
<webink> I'm going to, you cut it
<xkwzt> alright, but you cut it
<webink> I'm getting my car, you cut it
<xkwzt> pull it, you cut it and let me know

LOL, thats good stuff !!!

lol, I know! I'm for sure cutting it...but my car is in the shop getting the fightex thinggys put back on. As soon as it gets back that wire is as good as gone! I'll let everyone know how it goes.

I had this problem. Very easy to fix.

Your negative post to chassis ground isn't correctly mounted or isn't there at all.

I tryed to go straight from negative to engine, and had this exact same problem.

To fix it, I went to schucks and bought a 8 inch extension with 2 ends of negative cable, and yeah put it to my chassis directly under neath my battery where the stock 3rd point was, and yeah fixed the problem. Make sure everything's metal to metal.

im really glad i didnt cut it, this sounds alot better to do. thanks slammed.

Back