Dimming headlights???

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Smonkeyboy

i just got my alternater replaced, and ever since, when my car is sitting at idle, all my lights are dimmer, as soon as i give it a little gas, they brighten back up. im thinkin its eather a bad battery or a bad ground? what do you guys think???

I'm interested in this myself, my car has been doing the same thing. I just chaulk it up to being at least a 4 year old battery with now an amp/sub running off of it for over a year now as well.

Someone could have botched the wiring when they replaced the alternator, or maybe it's just not as strong as your old alternator. I'd think it's something in the wiring... but go to an AutoZone or something and have them run a check on the alternator system.

I'd say check your grounds and your battery might be drained too much and can't hold a charge as well as it used too. From my experience if the alternator goes it usually takes the battery with it. :(

the alternator produces very little current at idle, however it still should be able to run your headlights in conjuction with the battery. I'd check all the ground connections. If that all checks out, your battery may indeed need replacement.

have you heard of load boss alternators? they make 80A at idle. isnt that the peak amp rating of the stock alternator?

i was working or a taurus this weekend and when you rev it over 5 grand the battery light comes on and the headlights and interior lights all go dim

its quite amusing

heres what i recommend
--go to the guy whoe replace your alt.
--then :kick:
But seriously. its obviously the alt. or the wiring

Check all of your grounds, make sure they are all clean and do not have corision and are on good spots if they arent factory. You battery may have been discharged when the alternator went so it may not hold the same charge as it did before. If you have an amp this could also be the reason.

Back